Author Topic: DL1608 destroying my Mac Mini(s)  (Read 23617 times)

ILC Saratoga

• Youngling
Re: DL1608 destroying my Mac Mini(s)
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:00 AM »
I should have specified that it's the latest and greatest.  The earlier ones were direct power.  I've got one laying around that is heading to the recycle.  Apple has been very good on replacing the Logic Board.  The first time they gave me a upgraded MacMini  :thu:, the other times they replaced the logic board.  All because of the issue of 48v.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2015, 11:52:25 AM »
With respect to 99.9% of the people I meet who plug laptops running on mains power in to desks, they remove the earth from the mains lead or suffer awful humm..

I have not met anyone willing to purchase additional items to avoid removing the earth

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
Anybody who removes the safety earth off any mains powered gear is asking for an early trip to the great gig in the sky  :(

Most older laptops and many modern ones have only two conductor mains leads though, they are 'double insulated' for safety. They are still very prone to noise when connected to a pro PA system (often digital noise rather than 50/60 Hz hum).

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 06:22:05 PM »
Anybody who removes the safety earth off any mains powered gear is asking for an early trip to the great gig in the sky  :(

Most older laptops and many modern ones have only two conductor mains leads though, they are 'double insulated' for safety. They are still very prone to noise when connected to a pro PA system (often digital noise rather than 50/60 Hz hum).

I find that Macs in general tend to be the least problematic as far as noise introduction to most PA systems. But I always have stereo passive DIs handy just in case.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
I'm a late adopter mac guy. It is usually budget PCs that give the problems. My late 2011 MacPro has a two conductor mains lead BTW but I don't often use it plugged in for playback (with a 7-8 hour battery why bother) but I don't recall it being troublesome.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2015, 01:34:55 AM »
I'm still getting 7+ hours of use on my 2010 MacBook Pro.  Original battery and upgraded hard drive.  (Momentus XL 750 GB hybrid drive.  Noticeable increase in performance.)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
Sam I entirely get you mate,

Here is another thing, I encounter a bit, karaoke guys who suffer fatal graphic card damage,

Me, what did you do it I enquire,

Them, plug it in to the yellow video in on the telly in the pub,

what they mean is seven tellies all daisy chained with phono cables and  y adapters  leading to one cable that they plug in to their pc or laptop,

Me, Do you know you can buy an isolator to save your pc from damage

Them, ? No but any way, do you know anyone with a 2nd hand laptop ?

:)