Author Topic: From the Great White North, eh?  (Read 4562 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
From the Great White North, eh?
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
Just wanted share this one. It formed right under the furnace exhaust vent. Couldn't resist snapping a pix with the iPhone. It broke the same day, but a new one is forming. Can't wait to see the result. I call this 'Old Man Winter"

Enjoy!  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: From the Great White North, eh?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
Snowing here once again, maybe 6 inches by morning :( .

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »
Snowing here once again, maybe 6 inches by morning :( .

Ugghh! I don't feel too bad now.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »
Lol. I can't believe what I saw earlier this evening. It's been snowing a little here today and it's -1c. The roads are icy in parts and it's flipping windy. I saw a guy on a motorbike! He must be hard as nails or insane. Unbelievable!
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:03:09 PM »
Many years ago I was a keen motorcyclist. These days, with too many other hobbies, I don't have a bike but back then I was an IAM Observer, commuting every day and out on a run nearly every weekend come rain, shine, snow, ice..... whatever the Manchester weather could throw at me. One memorable run on a windy and cold winter Sunday we rode along the top of the moors from Glossop to Buxton, horizontal snow/hail and almost white-out conditions. When we stopped in Buxton for a brew several of us got parking tickets on the bikes 'cos we were parked in unidentifiable parking bays in the car park........

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:11:51 PM »
Ahh. My mate lives in Buxton, an ex biker like me too.  :)
He lived too close to the "cat n fiddle" to stay safe so he sold his duke.
I took a few AIM lessons back in the day before I gave up the roads and went back to the dirt :)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 11:29:24 PM »
Ah the Cat...... used to be a favourite road, powered by both petrol and legs... I'd love to have another bike but my wife is not happy with the idea (and we have 40 years together so some consideration is due). I still ride my mountain bikes (though more sedately), windsurf and dinghy sail (I have a twin trapeze skiff for those who know) in the season, and all in addition to my expensive gear habit (10+ guitars and several other instruments, DL1608, X32, 1202 mixers, 5kw PA) and playing in two bands....... long suffering describes my better half ..... Life's pretty good really (but I do still miss the bikes).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:33:01 PM by sam.spoons »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
Consider a lightweight tour bike.  Maybe you could talk her into a two up.  They now have helmet to helmet communications that works great.  (My Son and I use them while riding separate bikes.  Range is about 1/4 mile line of sight.)    I'm riding my second Pacific Coast motorcycle.  They don't make them anymore, but it's along the lines of a friendly mild bike.  Not threatening, not a crotch rocket, not an uncomfortable cruiser.  (And easy storage for a weekend trip.)  My Wife's knees hurt on most bikes, but not on this one.  (I'm 61)   I fully understand the marriage first aspect of a good relationship.  (And motorcycles aren't for everyone.)   If She's willing, treat it as a casual convertible that you can't put the top up on.  Take your time traveling, make lots of stops and don't push the corners.  (And taking a riding or advanced riders course for a refresher is a good idea.)

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 01:43:30 AM »
Nice ice.
Don't let it build up near the intake,,or  the furnace will stop working. Always a good idea to
occasionally scrape any build up off the intake air  vent.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:27:50 AM »
Nice ice.
Don't let it build up near the intake,,or  the furnace will stop working. Always a good idea to
occasionally scrape any build up off the intake air  vent.

Thanks! I thought it was kinda neat. It's always fascinating how stuff like that forms into different shapes. And thanks for the tip about the vents too.  :thu:

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »
Ah the Cat...... used to be a favourite road, powered by both petrol and legs... I'd love to have another bike but my wife is not happy with the idea (and we have 40 years together so some consideration is due). I still ride my mountain bikes (though more sedately), windsurf and dinghy sail (I have a twin trapeze skiff for those who know) in the season, and all in addition to my expensive gear habit (10+ guitars and several other instruments, DL1608, X32, 1202 mixers, 5kw PA) and playing in two bands....... long suffering describes my better half ..... Life's pretty good really (but I do still miss the bikes).
You're doing ok Sam, lots of stuff to keep you occupied. :thu: :lol:
The roads have just become too dangerous here and I love speed, (my only addiction lol) so I can't trust myself.
Every year the road racing season starts, I look longingly at all the pretty bikes :facepalm:
Racing MX helped, thinking about doing that again...... >:D