Author Topic: The dl806 a mere 430 euros on thomann  (Read 13051 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
The dl806 a mere 430 euros on thomann
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:06:15 PM »
thats for nothing really isn't it  given what this mixer does,

That's just under 500 if you add the Lightning adaptor.

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: The dl806 a mere 430 euros on thomann
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:14:09 PM »
They'll be giving them away in Cornflakes next  :facepalm:

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »
I think you're going to need a bigger box.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »
That's a great price..... :thu:
The older I get, the better I was!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »
Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know if you can use one ipad to control two DL mixers?  (That information and $5 might get you coffee at Starbucks.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:04:07 PM »
Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know if you can use one ipad to control two DL mixers?  (That information and $5 might get you coffee at Starbucks.)

If your question is not rhetorical... I’m just guessing but I think since each DL can only connect to its own wireless network and I think that the iPad can only connect to one wireless network at a time, probably not. But that would be kinda cool just the same. 3 Creams and 3 sugars please?  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »
If your question is not rhetorical... I’m just guessing but I think since each DL can only connect to its own wireless network
DL's cannot connect to a wireless network - they are wired ethernet only. I'm sure you can have multiple DL's to a single network. MF can switch between multiple DL's as long as they are on the same network. That network obviously needs a wireless adapter in it somewhere to communicate with your wireless iDevices. The wireless adapter is usually integrated with the router but doesn't need to be. You actually don't need a router at all as you probably won't be routing between the internet and your private network.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:20:13 PM by RoadRanger »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
Doesn't the DL need a router to provide DHCP routing? I don't think a simple access point will do that.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
If your question is not rhetorical... I’m just guessing but I think since each DL can only connect to its own wireless network
DL's cannot connect to a wireless network - they are wired ethernet only. I'm sure you can have multiple DL's to a single network. MF can switch between multiple DL's as long as they are on the same network. That network obviously needs a wireless adapter in it somewhere to communicate with your wireless iDevices. The wireless adapter is usually integrated with the router but doesn't need to be. You actually don't need a router at all as you probably won't be routing between the internet and your private network.

Perhaps I worded it wrong. I do realize that the DL only connects to a wired Ethernet only device. And the wireless feature in said device, in this case AirPort Express, enables the DL to communicate with the iPad etc. I presumed that was already a given, especially posting here. I will endeavor to be more literal in future postings.  :) I guess I'll have to make my own coffee now.  :(

PS:

It just amazes me sometimes that people are so quick to pick on the little things like spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and the uninformed, instead of enjoying the sharing of information which I thought this forum was all about. We all do make mistakes once in while or so I believed. Sorry, bad day, feeling like crap.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:34:31 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 05:23:46 PM »
The question was mostly rhetorical, Just that if someone had two of the mixers would they need to have separate ipads for controlling both.  I've come to the conclusion that Mackie probably didn't make the ipad capable of seeing two of the same mixers on WiFi.  You would probably need to change the mixer the ipad was looking at and for those people who thought the PEQ was too slow, switching would seem to be as fast as a turtle.  I'm thinking you wouldn't be able to use the airport expresss, but there are lots of wifi routers that have multiple wired network connections.  If you don't already own two DLs, you probably would never purchase a second of the same size anyway.  (And that DL32R would be tempting if you need that many channels.)   Thanks for thinking it through.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »
For those of you that are interested in the details RTFM pg.147-154 of the new manual. Network options have changed in MF3.x. Technically you can control multiple DL's from one iPad but as Wynnd pointed out you wouldn't want to go there.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:02:42 PM »
Actually two DL1608's and a cheap (or home made), passive, analogue summing device would give you a 32/8 I/O mixer (this concept has been discussed before on here or the old Mackie forum). If you already have a DL1608 then adding another may be a practical way to increase your input count. Maybe in a future version you'll be able to access multiple DLs from the same instance of Master Fader.

The only thing I'd add is that, as somebody has said recently, a tab based app is better for high input count systems than MF's scroll based system. The Berry X-Mix app is an example, it doesn't look anything like as easy as MF and lacks the 'always there' Master Fader (it's biggest shortcoming IMHO) but, while I can live without the eye-candy, MF is still the nicest app out there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:12:45 PM by sam.spoons »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »
I'm thinking you wouldn't be able to use the airport expresss, but there are lots of wifi routers that have multiple wired network connections.
I'm really not trying to be an arsehat but yous guy's understanding of networking is gonna continue to confuse all you all. Your typical wireless router has four function stuffed into one box:
Router (not needed by us in most configurations).
Multiport Switch.
DHCP server (needed because you can't assign a static IP to the DL1608 :( ).
Wireless Access Point (or two if dual band).
It's quite possible to have those functions in separate devices. It just happens that the cheapest alternative is to buy a "wirelss router" and not use it's router functionality.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:11:23 PM by RoadRanger »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:05 PM »
Okay I'll acknowledge my limited understanding of WiFi RR. So, what is the cheapest way to get a wifi access point with a built in DHCP server? Is it to buy a standard router/switch/DHCP server/wifi access point such as an Apple Airport of some flavour or similar?  ;D

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
Okay I'll acknowledge my limited understanding of WiFi RR. So, what is the cheapest way to get a wifi access point with a built in DHCP server? Is it to buy a standard router/switch/DHCP server/wifi access point such as an Apple Airport of some flavour or similar?  ;D
Yup, that's what I said. Folks get all confused when they think of the DL as being "wireless" when it's not, and thinking that a network involves the internet, and etc...

Sure would be a lot more robust to have the DL have a static IP so it doesn't "miss" getting an IP if it is powered up at the same time as your DHCP server :( . I often have to change the power around after I'm first set up or the power gets otherwise interrupted and then you have to reboot the mixer after the router finishes booting. A mere split second power glitch often results in losing wireless connectivity and you don't really want to stop the show to reboot the mixer...