Author Topic: The dl806 a mere 430 euros on thomann  (Read 13001 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: The dl806 a mere 430 euros on thomann
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 10:04:11 PM »
Yup, agreed but it isn't truly "pro" kit in that respect  :( Still, if it was we'd be paying a significant premium so I can live with it.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 10:49:30 PM »
Okay I'll acknowledge my limited understanding of WiFi RR. So, what is the cheapest way to get a wifi access point with a built in DHCP server? Is it to buy a standard router/switch/DHCP server/wifi access point such as an Apple Airport of some flavour or similar?  ;D
Yup, that's what I said. Folks get all confused when they think of the DL as being "wireless" when it's not, and thinking that a network involves the internet, and etc...

Sure would be a lot more robust to have the DL have a static IP so it doesn't "miss" getting an IP if it is powered up at the same time as your DHCP server :( . I often have to change the power around after I'm first set up or the power gets otherwise interrupted and then you have to reboot the mixer after the router finishes booting. A mere split second power glitch often results in losing wireless connectivity and you don't really want to stop the show to reboot the mixer...
RR before you dig a deeper hole that your already in RTFM pgs. 147-154. You will find that the MF 3.x claims to have the ability to assign static IP addresses. Haven't tried it myself, too busy with other things. Probably want to do that docked and then set up the iPad if the address has changed. So you don't need a DHCP server since the iPad also allows static address assignments. Multihomed iPads are the WiFi and cellular connection versions. They can handle two separate networks. DL's of course are not included.
P.S. Behringer isn't the only one hiding features under edit :).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:03:13 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 02:52:57 AM »
RR before you dig a deeper hole that your already in RTFM pgs. 147-154. You will find that the MF 3.x claims to have the ability to assign static IP addresses.
I'll check that out, thanks! Sure would help me out at gigs :) .

EDIT> Kinda funny - I now remember seeing that and planning on doing it - but never got a round tuit  :facepalm: x( :-\

'Nother Edit> Just to be ornery I ordered up a used AP:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201282475028
So no DHCP and no router to worry about - plus no wall wart (internal AC power supply) :) .

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
459 with the docking kit thrown in,

I reckon when they do it for 450 with the docking kit, rack bracket and plastic spacer I will jump in.

Kev

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 12:50:32 PM »

I reckon when they do it for 450 with the docking kit, rack bracket and plastic spacer I will jump in.

Kev

One can only hope..it's been a l o o o n g journey for something as simple as a pro audio mixer purchase.....

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 03:59:16 AM »

Kev

One can only hope..it's been a l o o o n g journey for something as simple as a pro audio mixer purchase.....
Oh come now, hold out for 449 ;)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 02:20:59 PM »
I did fork out 375 last week for a Allen and Heath, + 150 for new stands + new leads, so

It's just a matter of convincing wifey That we now need a spare digital mixer to keep my three PA systems company and maybe a spare pad?,..

445 is a good number,

:)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »
C'mon Kev, DL806 very, very, very, very cheap!
Considering buying one because they're so flipping cheap :facepalm: ;)
It's all I can do to resist hitting the button on Thomann!!
If it wasn't for a new toy looming on the horizon, I wouldn't think twice about buying it or the lightning bundled one.....

BTW, just picked up yet another used ZED10 and ran it (just for kicks) last night on a very intimate gig.
It obviously lacked a lot of features that the DL (or any digi mixer has) but you know what? It sounded great.
Different, but great.
It's actually bigger and heavier than a DL.
Kudos to Mackie for giving us something so compact and full featured.
The ZED is user friendly though and perfect for unattended corporate AV gigs.
I don't think a DL or XR would ever be suited for that type of work.

Was lurking in the B* forums under my alter-ego and saw you bought a MixWiz, solid reliable choice IMO.
Analogue is still good ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:59:38 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
Think I commented on Master Fader 3's complexity.  I like it for me, but think I'd have to block off a bunch of stuff so others don't screw with critical settings.  If you have a helper, you need to get them up to par on this mixer.  Prior to version 3, it wasn't that complicated.  Most of us can deal with the extra toys.   

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »
C'mon Kev, DL806 very, very, very, very cheap!
Considering buying one because they're so flipping cheap :facepalm: ;)
It's all I can do to resist hitting the button on Thomann!!
If it wasn't for a new toy looming on the horizon, I wouldn't think twice about buying it or the lightning bundled one.....

BTW, just picked up yet another used ZED10 and ran it (just for kicks) last night on a very intimate gig.
It obviously lacked a lot of features that the DL (or any digi mixer has) but you know what? It sounded great.
Different, but great.
It's actually bigger and heavier than a DL.
Kudos to Mackie for giving us something so compact and full featured.
The ZED is user friendly though and perfect for unattended corporate AV gigs.
I don't think a DL or XR would ever be suited for that type of work.

Was lurking in the B* forums under my alter-ego and saw you bought a MixWiz, solid reliable choice IMO.
Analogue is still good ;)
I absolutely agree the DL806 is VERY cheap considering the hardware/software that has matured to a mostly reliable OS right now.
Sooooo simple to use without any need for a user manual!

Kev, surely this a great option for you?
Cheap as chips for the mixer.
And after trying all the User interfaces from competitors I can't even imagine anyone being negative about what Mackie offers for both Master Fader, AND My fader.

Dive in man! You've wasted so much productive time "reaserching" ...

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 04:02:46 PM »
Think I commented on Master Fader 3's complexity.  I like it for me, but think I'd have to block off a bunch of stuff so others don't screw with critical settings.  If you have a helper, you need to get them up to par on this mixer.  Prior to version 3, it wasn't that complicated.  Most of us can deal with the extra toys.
I had never heard of VCA's before MF3. Subgroups yes. Decades in the live sound industry had never exposed me to VCA's.
MF3 upgrade exposed me to VCA's for the first time. I googled VCA's and am now equipped with a really good knowledge of them.

So upgrading to MF3 exposed me to a small handful of new features I've never used before, but quickly became BIG positives from my perspective!

Complexity? No!
New, and very useful toys? YES!

So when you say "most of us can deal with the extra toys" I not only agree 100% but also hope that tentative DL buyers have more confidence in taking the plunge!

MF3 is as simple to use as MF2.
The only difference is a few added features that are super simple to grasp :)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 01:39:09 AM »
I also hadn't heard of VCAs.  (DCAs apparently are almost the same thing.)  My first good mixer was a CFX-12 Mackie.  You had to run the output through the groups and I missed that when I bought my MixWiz.  Glad to see them back in MF 3.x   Now the phantom power should have only been on one bank of inputs.  (Wonder if that's an easy modification?)  I'm sure that Mackie has more plans for Master Fader, but if they didn't do anything outside of improve the effects, I could live with this mixer until I retire.  (10 years max.)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 08:35:54 AM »
Hey guys

I agree, the Dl806 is an absolute snip, I just have to be crafty, skim a few euros from every gig and then get someone to buy it for me and then tell the wife I am swapping an empty bass bin for an old mixer,

Agree on the zed fx, absolutely solid, it took  ages just getting the thing in bits in order to jerry fit some rack ears, it sounds nice and the only thing I am struggling with on it is with  finding a set and forget reverb that all my acts are happy with

I agree master fader is a simple or more user friendly app than anything else, but I would not like to leave a Dl unattended  in the hands of a young girl or guy who is unfamiliar with the app, and many of my gigs are like this now, where I set up two rigs and hop from gig to gig doing the first and last spot with  a support act or two.

Keep the faith guys, mackie will defo get my custom soon, and I think so will berry when and if  the baby x ever shows up,

Just lets keep it between us though,  the wife  and  my three month  old son have designs on my cash so much

Cheers

Kev :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:38:57 AM by Kev tyler »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 12:50:52 AM »
RR before you dig a deeper hole that your already in RTFM pgs. 147-154. You will find that the MF 3.x claims to have the ability to assign static IP addresses.
I'll check that out, thanks! Sure would help me out at gigs :) .

EDIT> Kinda funny - I now remember seeing that and planning on doing it - but never got a round tuit  :facepalm: x( :-\

'Nother Edit> Just to be ornery I ordered up a used AP:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201282475028
So no DHCP and no router to worry about - plus no wall wart (internal AC power supply) :) .
Hey how's that AP working out for you?
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 01:35:45 AM »
Hey how's that AP working out for you?
I actually have a second now (same make and model) - but still haven't got a round tuit ;) .
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:38:18 AM by RoadRanger »