Author Topic: DAW routing question  (Read 2992 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
DAW routing question
« on: March 05, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
Didn't want to post this on the DL forum, but figured I'd get some good feedback here.  I just upgraded my Cakewalk Sonar X3 to Platinum (like it so far).  You here a lot about how engineers route their FX chain and this is how I run mine:

INPUT -> EQ -> FX -> Compression -> Console Emulation -> OUTPUT

You hear on some threads that people put compression before EQ, which makes absolutely no sense to me.  I typically don't run compression on vocals unless absolutely necessary and I am very sparing when it comes to using compression on either tracks or bus.

Any comments are more than welcome  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:03:33 PM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

musicdan

• Padawan
Re: DAW routing question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
There's no right or wrong way. If your method works for you then that's what you should do. However, try it the other way and let your ears decide. Things that don't make sense in theory can sound quite pleasing to the ear, or at least unique to that track. The only actual rule when it comes to routing is keeping your equipment electronically safe (ie feedback loops, overdriving inputs etc). Historically, some of the coolest albums are the ones where the engineer does something nobody else would think makes sense.
DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:00:52 PM »
Actually anything goes including feedback as history has shown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_feedback
or from the Beatles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_recording_technology
So much for the perfectionists.
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »
There's no right or wrong way. If your method works for you then that's what you should do. However, try it the other way and let your ears decide. Things that don't make sense in theory can sound quite pleasing to the ear, or at least unique to that track. The only actual rule when it comes to routing is keeping your equipment electronically safe (ie feedback loops, overdriving inputs etc). Historically, some of the coolest albums are the ones where the engineer does something nobody else would think makes sense.

Dan, All good points here.  I have listened the other way and only notice little difference.  I use very little compression so that may be why I don't notice a bigger difference.  I'll keep the routing the way I have it.   Why change something that's not broke.  Thanks for your input!!

Gio
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »
Actually anything goes including feedback as history has shown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_feedback
or from the Beatles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_recording_technology
So much for the perfectionists.

Ahhh, the creative side of sound engineering.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »
Different arrangements  may work better for different instruments too. For instance, you may find compression before eq sounds thin to you on vocals but takes  the snare drum or.... harmonica to a whole new level 8). Routing is like having one extra control knob on every piece of equipment. Guitar players reconfigure the signal path of their stomp boxes in every which way chasing after that  holy grail of sound.
DL1608