Author Topic: Recover Partial (Crashed) Recording  (Read 2579 times)

Lee_AVP

• Initiate
Recover Partial (Crashed) Recording
« on: March 09, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »
Hi, Guys -

Glad to have found this forum since the Mackie forum is toast!

We had an event on Saturday where we were recorded the audio from a few mics in a Q&A session. Unfortunately, 40 minutes into the session, Master Fader crashed. I can't find any record or evidence of those first 40 minutes of audio.

Does anyone know if there's a way to dig in to the files and try to find or recover a file fragment? I've got tools to rebuild partial files, if I can just get my hands on it. All my clips from the rest of the day I've gotten out of iTunes, but I'd love to try to find those first 40 minutes!

Any chance?

Thanks!

E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production | Richmond VA

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Recover Partial (Crashed) Recording
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »
Right place for that question.  Check for a possible file without a name.  Might just be lost too.  When you said Master Fader crashed, what do you actually mean?  Did it just become un-synced from the mixer?  (Happens, usually connects backup on its own.)  Did it freeze?  (Don't recall that happening to anyone.)  Would be useful to know what version you're using too.  There may be others who know the ipad better than I do for looking for file fragments. 

Couple of things you need to know.  The ipad power supply on the mixer is fine for maintaining a full charge.  It's been a bit weak for recharging a discharged ipad.  (Only applies to docked ipads.)  I always make sure that my ipad 2 is fully charged before a gig.  (The one I run docked.) I also change over the Auto-lock to Never so the ipad won't go to sleep.  (Usually remember to change it back at the end of the gig.)

Lee_AVP

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:34:22 PM »
Rolling along, and Master Fader just closed. No warning, no error. We get plenty of incidents of sync loss, this was not that. Just poof, back to the 'desktop.'

This is version 2.1.1 running on IOS 5.1.1, the most up to date OS for my MCL349LL, a first-gen iPad.

We've pulled in all the files available in the iTunes App Documents area. I've got some file recovery software that I thought I'd try, but it's not finding anything additional.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
I've seen that, but it's fairly rare with any app.  Usually the app is still open but not onscreen.  A quick double click on the home button will show all apps that are active.  (You probably knew this.  If not, you need to add it to your ios background.)  I'm wondering if an accidental double or triple tap might cause it.  (I'm clumsy enough.)

So are you planning on upgrading you ipad?  I'm running an ipad 2 and mini.  Hoping to get about 10 years service out of this mixer.  (If I live that long.)

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »
We had an event on Saturday where we were recorded the audio from a few mics in a Q&A session. Unfortunately, 40 minutes into the session, Master Fader crashed. I can't find any record or evidence of those first 40 minutes of audio.

I'm assuming you're not jailbroken. Try iFunbox. It may be able to see the file.

Lee_AVP

• Initiate
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »
Very nice utility! Couldn't find a missing file or fragment, but very cool to be able to browse for real to search. Thanks!