Author Topic: If you use Apple Airplay, don't upgrade iOS to 8.2  (Read 21406 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • 的f music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Re: If you use Apple Airplay, don't upgrade iOS to 8.2
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
Thanks KM,

You'd think I would learn after 42 years doing IT, that I would not live on the "Bleeding Edge" of technology.  I'm use to it with Microsoft, but not with Apple.  I am glad that this fix didn't cripple me since I use Airplay all the time.  Next upgrade, I'll be a little more cautious ;). BTW, won't take credit for the fix. A guy out on the Apple community tried it and it worked for him. 

Ciao,

Gio
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 04:08:33 AM »
While both MS and Apple have occasional problems with an upgrade, they have become rare.  (A tribute to both companies.) Still upgrading just before a gig is its own problem.  I like to have at least a full week to deal with any problems.  (And always make a couple of recent backups.)

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »
While both MS and Apple have occasional problems with an upgrade, they have become rare.  (A tribute to both companies.) Still upgrading just before a gig is its own problem.  I like to have at least a full week to deal with any problems.  (And always make a couple of recent backups.)

Wynn, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the issue with Airplay is with MF as I think RR mention earlier in this post.  So I tried a test.  So I launched LouderLogic (similar to Tango) and was able to stream using Airplay (Saw my Airport Express).  With LL still playing, I launched OnSong (Lyric app) that also can make use of Airplay.  LL stopped playing, but "Gio's Airport Express" still showed under Airplay.  I could still stream from one app or the other, but not both.  Also tried it on my iPad Retina (3rd gen) running iOS 8.1.3 and get the same results until I launch MF and Airplay stops totally.  It's now on Mackie to fix this.  BTW, they know about this issue.  All of us in this forum have to complain enough and maybe they will fix it.  If they don't, my next purchase will be a non-Mackie product.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:18:25 PM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 09:22:45 PM »
It will be interesting to see if airplay functions normally in the new MF Classic.  I'm going to load it onto my iPad2 and see what I see.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
It will be interesting to see if airplay functions normally in the new MF Classic.  I'm going to load it onto my iPad2 and see what I see.

MF Classic?  Is there some new update I'm missing?
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
BTW, Just got off the phone with support.  They told me the development team knows of the issue, but can't say if or when they are going to fix it.  I posted a concern via Mackie user voice at:

https://mackie.uservoice.com/forums/97035-dl-series/suggestions/7314593-fix-airplay-from-a-non-docked-ipad

Please take the time to vote for this fix :).

I don't know how many of you use a remote iPad to stream break music, but I rely on it heavily.  At some venues it takes time to get through the crowd to get back to the console or if it's behind the band, even tougher.  If this doesn't get addressed, then the DL's life will be short lived and I will look at non-Mackie products.  Ben, I hope you read this and can put some pressure on the development team to fix it. The DL32R will be of no interest to me due to this issue with MF.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:38:36 PM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »

http://www.mackie.com/enews/products/2015/03/introducing-master-fader-classic/

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 09:57:59 PM »

http://www.mackie.com/enews/products/2015/03/introducing-master-fader-classic/

So, basically a downgrade >:(. So I assume: No VCA, No Subgroups, etc.  And no fixes that rolled-up to 3.0?
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 10:57:21 PM »
Basically it's MF 2.1.1 available with a different name.  Answers the question about support for ipad 1 owners and support for those who liked the earlier version but ungraded unintentionally.  I don't see myself going that direction, but enough people wanted it and Mackie deserves some kudos for coming through.  My Fader 2.1 works with it, so everything is there for those who liked the earlier version.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 11:06:36 PM »
Well, after testing MF 2.1 on my remote iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.2 and MF 2.1 on my remote iPad Retina (3rd gen), they both break Airplay.  Now I'm wondering if this still is an iOS 8.x issue or something with the Apple SDK that developers are using to write code.  It almost feels like Apple has locked down Airplay to only their apps, but doesn't explain why other apps (i.e. LouderLogic) work.  I'm on the beta team for another app (OnSong) that can stream music over Airplay.  Their release version works fine, but the beta does not.  Hopefully, I can dig deeper and find out what Apple SDK or specific code that OnSong uses that breaks Airplay. Drives me crazy when I have to troubleshoot a manufacturer/vendor issue on my dime  :(
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 11:15:27 PM »
As long as MF Classic works on old versions of iOS I'd say it was a huge advantage for "non-power users". MF2 was/is so user friendly compared to MF3 and all the other manufacturers apps that, for a non-techie user, I'd recommend it and the DL 806/1608 in a heartbeat. I've downloaded it as most of my DL1608 gigs don't need MF3 and the simplicity of MF2/MFC allows me to concentrate on the job in hand. I have an X32 Compact for gigs that need the extra facilities, it's got faders and more inputs so the DL32 was never a contender as I don't see myself mixing 32 channels on an iPad alone.

It's time for Kev to bite the bullet and buy his DL806  ::)

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 11:16:39 PM »
Basically it's MF 2.1.1 available with a different name.  Answers the question about support for ipad 1 owners and support for those who liked the earlier version but ungraded unintentionally.  I don't see myself going that direction, but enough people wanted it and Mackie deserves some kudos for coming through.  My Fader 2.1 works with it, so everything is there for those who liked the earlier version.

Wynn, Just got off the phone with Mackie support.  They said 2.1.1 obviously won't have the features of MF 3.0, but also none of the bug fixes either and yes, they did it mainly for iPad 1 owners.  He also informed me that they don't officially support Airplay and the DL32R uses the external hard drive to store break music or backing tracks.  So now I have 3 options:

1. Buy a DL32R for $2K
2. Buy another remote iPad for only streaming music (No MF loaded) for $400-800
3. Buy another non-Mackie product
4. Do nothing and live with it.

Options 1 thru 3 are all options for a hefty price.

Maybe the cheapest solution is to buy an iPod that can utilize Airplay.  Haven't used an iPod in years.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:20:52 PM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 03:09:05 AM »

Wynn, Just got off the phone with Mackie support.  They said 2.1.1 obviously won't have the features of MF 3.0, but also none of the bug fixes either and yes, they did it mainly for iPad 1 owners.  He also informed me that they don't officially support Airplay and the DL32R uses the external hard drive to store break music or backing tracks.  So now I have 3 options:

1. Buy a DL32R for $2K
2. Buy another remote iPad for only streaming music (No MF loaded) for $400-800
3. Buy another non-Mackie product
4. Do nothing and live with it.

Options 1 thru 3 are all options for a hefty price.

Maybe the cheapest solution is to buy an iPod that can utilize Airplay.  Haven't used an iPod in years.
You got to be kidding. Dump Airplay and use Bluetooth at $20-50 it's a no-brain er and proven to be more reliable. The high $ end is for low latency AptX if you need it. There is also Texas Instruments PurePath a PCM solution. Apple of course only supports the plain vanilla Bluetooth.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 04:18:31 AM »
While I have My Fader 3.x on my iphone, I don't use it, so my iphone is available for airplay.  I'm doing three Senior shows this year.  (So Far.)  And at least two of them require sound cues that airplay is too slow for.  I've bought Tango and it seems close to instantaneous, so with a few rehearsals I will know for sure.  If it works with everything else, I should be fully WiFi to the system for all of my shows.  The Show this weekend is only a play and I don't think there is any music.  (Show is this Saturday, it's a bit late for major changes.)   

Tango is fairly cheap and looks so functional.  Worthy of serious consideration over airplay.  When I've had more experience with Tango, I will report back.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
Well, interesting enough, I sent the Airplay issue off the issue for OnSong to the OnSong development team who identified the issue immediately and had the issue and beta build reissued in less than 30 minutes.  That's my kind of company!!  I've asked for specifics of the fix so I can pass it along to the Mackie development.  This is why Mackie should engage a selection of the user community to beta test, so these issues get fixed before released. So I get the line from Mackie support "We only have so much of a budget for development".  Well Ben, do you want people to buy your products or not?  One developer identified this issue and fixed it in 30 minutes.  I despise companies that release a build only to support a new product their releasing (iOS 8.2 for iWatch, MF 3.x for DL32R).  This is where sales/marketing trumps development/support :(.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment