Author Topic: If you use Apple Airplay, don't upgrade iOS to 8.2  (Read 21463 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: If you use Apple Airplay, don't upgrade iOS to 8.2
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »
Try to not beat up on Mackie too much.  Mixer margins are probably very small and they have been trying to address issues.  (And I'm betting their software team is small.)  Company like OnSong is all about software and only about software.  Bet 80% of their company are developers.  Hard to fairly compare the two companies.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
Basically it's MF 2.1.1 available with a different name.  Answers the question about support for ipad 1 owners and support for those who liked the earlier version but ungraded unintentionally.  I don't see myself going that direction, but enough people wanted it and Mackie deserves some kudos for coming through.  My Fader 2.1 works with it, so everything is there for those who liked the earlier version.

Wynn, Just got off the phone with Mackie support.  They said 2.1.1 obviously won't have the features of MF 3.0, but also none of the bug fixes either and yes, they did it mainly for iPad 1 owners.  He also informed me that they don't officially support Airplay and the DL32R uses the external hard drive to store break music or backing tracks.  So now I have 3 options:

1. Buy a DL32R for $2K
2. Buy another remote iPad for only streaming music (No MF loaded) for $400-800
3. Buy another non-Mackie product
4. Do nothing and live with it.

Options 1 thru 3 are all options for a hefty price.

Maybe the cheapest solution is to buy an iPod that can utilize Airplay.  Haven't used an iPod in years.
You got to be kidding. Dump Airplay and use Bluetooth at $20-50 it's a no-brain er and proven to be more reliable. The high $ end is for low latency AptX if you need it. There is also Texas Instruments PurePath a PCM solution. Apple of course only supports the plain vanilla Bluetooth.

Bill, the issue with BT is it has work with Apple's proprietary OS. This is where Windows and Linux have a little more leeway  ;)
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »
Try to not beat up on Mackie too much.  Mixer margins are probably very small and they have been trying to address issues.  (And I'm betting their software team is small.)  Company like OnSong is all about software and only about software.  Bet 80% of their company are developers.  Hard to fairly compare the two companies.

I'm very critical considering that I've been in IT service and support for over 40 years and managed a 25-person development team.  I consider 25 small, but we were mighty. To me, it's not about how many development people you have, it's company philosophy. Do you think Microsoft released Windows 8 just because?  No, it was to support their new hardware, the Surface Pro. Companies out there (most of them), just want to sell you the next big thing, rather than focusing on their existing products that have a existing customer base. Are we a society of "throw away" items?  My drawer is filled the old cell phones (really less than 2-3 years old), because they are pushing new gadgets down your throat. My storage facility is filled with printers, because it's cheaper to buy a new one, than repair it. They make their money off supplies.  EFFICIENCY is the key word here. Is the DL a US made product?  I doubt it. So I'm sure their margins are more than we think, or they wouldn't be in business today.  In the time I spent on this thread, OnSong has already gotten back to me with code specifics of what fixed their Airplay issue.  I'm forwarding it on to Mackie.  It may lead them in the right direction.  Digital mixers are becoming a very competitive market.  When I went to the NAMM show this year, I looked at the DL32R and was about 80% sold on buying it.  That percentage is now less than 50%. I'm not doubting the capabilities of the DL32R, but I'd rather go with a company that supports their legacy products. Man, legacy use to be like 10 years.  Now is like 1-2 years.  That's pretty sad, ain't it?
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »

I'm very critical considering that I've been in IT service and support for over 40 years and managed a 25-person development team.  I consider 25 small, but we were mighty. To me, it's not about how many development people you have, it's company philosophy. Do you think Microsoft released Windows 8 just because?  No, it was to support their new hardware, the Surface Pro. Companies out there (most of them), just want to sell you the next big thing, rather than focusing on their existing products that have a existing customer base. Are we a society of "throw away" items?  My drawer is filled the old cell phones (really less than 2-3 years old), because they are pushing new gadgets down your throat. My storage facility is filled with printers, because it's cheaper to buy a new one, than repair it. They make their money off supplies.  EFFICIENCY is the key word here. Is the DL a US made product?  I doubt it. So I'm sure their margins are more than we think, or they wouldn't be in business today.  In the time I spent on this thread, OnSong has already gotten back to me with code specifics of what fixed their Airplay issue.  I'm forwarding it on to Mackie.  It may lead them in the right direction.  Digital mixers are becoming a very competitive market.  When I went to the NAMM show this year, I looked at the DL32R and was about 80% sold on buying it.  That percentage is now less than 50%. I'm not doubting the capabilities of the DL32R, but I'd rather go with a company that supports their legacy products. Man, legacy use to be like 10 years.  Now is like 1-2 years.  That's pretty sad, ain't it?

:thu: :thu: 

Did our analog gear ever really cause us this much frustration back in the day, regarding reliability and consistency? 
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »

Did our analog gear ever really cause us this much frustration back in the day, regarding reliability and consistency?

KM, Not at all. Selling technology and supporting technology are two different animals.  Too many people selling new technology and less people supporting it. Efficiency (aka Quality Control) IMHO is the key to a successful company.  My hourly rate for IT consulting isn't cheap and some customers see the value, others do not.  My question to the others is "When is the last time you had any issues with your equipment/network?". Sometimes I feel like the Maytag repairman, but I have customers that have been with me 15-20 years and won't go elsewhere.  Maybe I can go out and sell my customers a new server or workstation when they don't really need it, but that's not my philosophy and definitely not our company philosophy. But then again, our company is service/support driven :).
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2015, 06:50:53 PM »
…but airplay works just fine with My Fader 2.1.1 and IOS 8.2

Popcorn?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »

KM, Not at all. Selling technology and supporting technology are two different animals.  Too many people selling new technology and less people supporting it. Efficiency (aka Quality Control) IMHO is the key to a successful company.  My hourly rate for IT consulting isn't cheap and some customers see the value, others do not.  My question to the others is "When is the last time you had any issues with your equipment/network?". Sometimes I feel like the Maytag repairman, but I have customers that have been with me 15-20 years and won't go elsewhere.  Maybe I can go out and sell my customers a new server or workstation when they don't really need it, but that's not my philosophy and definitely not our company philosophy. But then again, our company is service/support driven :).
I quite agree with you. And not to flaunt but to give an example...

I've been using Yorkville gear for years and up until a few years back all of their line was Canadian made, built like a tank. Some of their stuff is farmed out and is certainly cheaper quality. The cost of doing business and saving money. Now some of their Chinese made speakers are actually being built back here once again and you can see the difference in the finishes on the cabinets alone. Was it consumer pressure or $$$ or a bit of both? I'd rather have US or Canadian made products for sure. I guess we just can't get the tech we use today unless it's Asian built. Some of it's excellent and some maybe not so much.

Like you said Quality Control is the key for sure!   :police:

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2015, 09:01:55 PM »
Well, after giving it a lot of thought and not expecting a change anytime soon, I decided to take the recommendation of Bill (WK154) and go Bluetooth. That way I'm not depending on a proprietary protocol like Airplay and I can use ANY Bluetooth device. Just picked up a Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter from Best buy. We will see :)
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
If you use Apple Airplay, don't upgrade iOS to 8.2
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:10 PM »
Basically it's MF 2.1.1 available with a different name.  Answers the question about support for ipad 1 owners and support for those who liked the earlier version but ungraded unintentionally.  I don't see myself going that direction, but enough people wanted it and Mackie deserves some kudos for coming through.  My Fader 2.1 works with it, so everything is there for those who liked the earlier version.

Wynn, Just got off the phone with Mackie support.  They said 2.1.1 obviously won't have the features of MF 3.0, but also none of the bug fixes either and yes, they did it mainly for iPad 1 owners.  He also informed me that they don't officially support Airplay and the DL32R uses the external hard drive to store break music or backing tracks.  So now I have 3 options:

1. Buy a DL32R for $2K

Maybe the cheapest solution is to buy an iPod that can utilize Airplay.  Haven't used an iPod in years.
You got to be kidding. Dump Airplay and use Bluetooth at $20-50 it's a no-brain er and proven to be more reliable. The high $ end is for low latency AptX if you need it. There is also Texas Instruments PurePath a PCM solution. Apple of course only supports the plain vanilla Bluetooth.

Well Bill, I took your advice and bought a Logitech BT Adapter. It's really small (1.5" x 1.5"). Looks very promising. Can even use my Android phone as well. :).  Also, was only $40 at Best Buy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2015, 10:31:26 PM »

1. Buy a DL32R for $2K

Well Bill, I took your advice and bought a Logitech BT Adapter. It's really small (1.5" x 1.5"). Looks very promising. Can even use my Android phone as well. :).  Also, was only $40 at Best Buy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey,

It looks like that may just be the ticket for you. I was looking at the specs for it on Best Buy and it states that it only has a 50 foot range within line of sight. I don't get much past 50 at most gigs with the wireless . Would it theoretically work past 50 feet if the need arises? Sorry if I'm being a "Debbie Downer" for you.  8)

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »
Well, as it turns out, it doesn't matter anyway.  MF squashes BT as well. Mackie could have written better code to address this.  Now I have to carry another device around at gigs just for playing break music and tracks. Almost feel like Mackie is forcing people to buy the DL32R in order to play tracks or break music which is NOT going to happen. What a joke >:(
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 12:06:15 AM »
So what product is OnSong trying to push?  They only make money from software sales.  (And in-app sales. Mostly additional software modules.)  I love OnSong and use it frequently.  And the DL1608 I have was built in Mexico.  (Might be some Chinese parts.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2015, 12:37:56 AM »
Well, as it turns out, it doesn't matter anyway.  MF squashes BT as well. Mackie could have written better code to address this.  Now I have to carry another device around at gigs just for playing break music and tracks. Almost feel like Mackie is forcing people to buy the DL32R in order to play tracks or break music which is NOT going to happen. What a joke >:(

Sorry to hear that. At least you can take the BT Adapter back for a refund. I use an iPod Touch 5th Gen for AirPlay. It is more gear for me, but it does fit in a pocket. I know, doesn't help you too much with your current dilemma, though.  :(

BT as well! Crazy stuff for sure. Ugghh  :facepalm:

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »

Sorry to hear that. At least you can take the BT Adapter back for a refund. I use an iPod Touch 5th Gen for AirPlay. It is more gear for me, but it does fit in a pocket. I know, doesn't help you too much with your current dilemma, though.  :(

Yeah, I'm going to take back the BT Adapter.  Another $299 for the 64G iPod Touch isn't in my budget considering I have an old 1st gen iPad with 64G and a 3rd gen iPad with 32G sitting around  :-\
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to take back the BT Adapter.  Another $299 for the 64G iPod Touch isn't in my budget considering I have an old 1st gen iPad with 64G and a 3rd gen iPad with 32G sitting around  :-\

I guess if you use Apple stuff, which is a pretty decent product, you have to “pay to play”  :(  I wonder if Master Fader will ever become a cross platform app?