Author Topic: If you use Apple Airplay, don't upgrade iOS to 8.2  (Read 21408 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: If you use Apple Airplay, don't upgrade iOS to 8.2
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »
I'm a fan of cross platform.  (One reason i use Cubase.)  But Mackie will have to add Android expertise to their software staff.  I'm betting that's not in the budget.  Maybe they'll get it by accident? 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 05:12:01 PM »
I'm a fan of cross platform.  (One reason i use Cubase.)  But Mackie will have to add Android expertise to their software staff.  I'm betting that's not in the budget.  Maybe they'll get it by accident?

Maybe even Mac and Windows? Too much?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2015, 09:16:53 AM »
Well, as it turns out, it doesn't matter anyway.  MF squashes BT as well. Mackie could have written better code to address this.  Now I have to carry another device around at gigs just for playing break music and tracks. Almost feel like Mackie is forcing people to buy the DL32R in order to play tracks or break music which is NOT going to happen. What a joke >:(
Finally got around to retest the Bluetooth with the latest MF on iOS 7.1.2 and it appears that Mackie takes over the volume control and sets it to the lowest setting. Does not let another app such as Music or VoiceRecord control the background or foreground volume control. Maybe they thought that it was a source of the white noise. You'll never get a strait answer out of them.
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »
Well, as it turns out, it doesn't matter anyway.  MF squashes BT as well. Mackie could have written better code to address this.  Now I have to carry another device around at gigs just for playing break music and tracks. Almost feel like Mackie is forcing people to buy the DL32R in order to play tracks or break music which is NOT going to happen. What a joke >:(
Finally got around to retest the Bluetooth with the latest MF on iOS 7.1.2 and it appears that Mackie takes over the volume control and sets it to the lowest setting. Does not let another app such as Music or VoiceRecord control the background or foreground volume control. Maybe they thought that it was a source of the white noise. You'll never get a strait answer out of them.

Bill, that's what the OnSong lead developer found after I emailed him regarding this issue. OnSong beta would seize control of the volume/mic at app launch which broke Airplay/BT.  It took him all but 30 minutes to identify and correct.  So bottom line OnSong app will now wait until the mic/volume is needed (if ever).  How hard would it be to test for a docked condition vs remote and sidestep taking over volume or mic control on the remote unit versus console. Unfortunately, since there is no more docked iPad on the DL32R, everything is remote. So, I haven't coded in decades, but this is my logic.  When MF launches, don't seize volume/mic control at startup. In the case of the DL806/1608, test for connection to the lightning connector (already does). I would assume most of the DL806/1608 owners out there either use 2 iPads (like me) or 1 docked iPad and an iPhone remote (My Fader). In the case of the DL32R, why take control of the volume/mic at all.  When you want to play tracks/break music, all I'm doing from MF is sending a signal to the console to play from the external hard drive.  I control the volume through a channel fader, not the remote iPad volume control.  In the case of recording, same thing.  A trigger is sent to record on the external hard drive on the DL32R. So the solution would be for MF not seize the volume/mic control on any iPad unless it is docked. I will tell you this. If this issue is of little concern to Mackie, then it will be the last Mackie product I will ever purchase. I really hope someone from Mackie reads these posts and responds.

Bill, I would be curious if iOS 7.1.2 and MF Classic would be the same result.  Last Saturday, I carried around 3 iPads (1 for console, 1 for MF and 1 for break music). Totally ridiculous and a PITA!!
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
Carry an iphone or ipod for break music.  (I'm using an iphone.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »
I carry two iPads, an Air for MF 3.X and a 2 for AirPlay. I used to use both iPads for MF (docked and remote) and an iPod Touch for AirPlay.  And that’s more than enough extra gear for me to schlepp around.

I think, and I’m not too sure on this, but if you are lugging around tons of gear for big venues, 3 iPads might be a little much sometimes. I do small gigs, so this is not an issue. But as I get older, even lugging around the gear I use gets tedious sometimes. Playing the gig is the best part for me, that’s why I keep doing it. 
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »

Bill, that's what the OnSong lead developer found after I emailed him regarding this issue. OnSong beta would seize control of the volume/mic at app launch which broke Airplay/BT.  It took him all but 30 minutes to identify and correct.  So bottom line OnSong app will now wait until the mic/volume is needed (if ever).  How hard would it be to test for a docked condition vs remote and sidestep taking over volume or mic control on the remote unit versus console. Unfortunately, since there is no more docked iPad on the DL32R, everything is remote. So, I haven't coded in decades, but this is my logic.  When MF launches, don't seize volume/mic control at startup. In the case of the DL806/1608, test for connection to the lightning connector (already does). I would assume most of the DL806/1608 owners out there either use 2 iPads (like me) or 1 docked iPad and an iPhone remote (My Fader). In the case of the DL32R, why take control of the volume/mic at all.  When you want to play tracks/break music, all I'm doing from MF is sending a signal to the console to play from the external hard drive.  I control the volume through a channel fader, not the remote iPad volume control.  In the case of recording, same thing.  A trigger is sent to record on the external hard drive on the DL32R. So the solution would be for MF not seize the volume/mic control on any iPad unless it is docked. I will tell you this. If this issue is of little concern to Mackie, then it will be the last Mackie product I will ever purchase. I really hope someone from Mackie reads these posts and responds.

Bill, I would be curious if iOS 7.1.2 and MF Classic would be the same result.  Last Saturday, I carried around 3 iPads (1 for console, 1 for MF and 1 for break music). Totally ridiculous and a PITA!!
It seems to be part Apple problem as well. AFAIK they have no mixer in iOS a la Windows (multiple sound sources mixed to go to outputs of choice). The rather limited Foreground/Background iOS has audio as a special case to allow running in the background while other apps are running. The problem arises when both apps use sound and no mixer is available, then a choice needs to be made. This is the results of Apple control freak mentality and crippleware. They're still trying to get a real multitasking function into iOS. Didn't make it last year maybe this year? Too busy right now with XR18 to play much with DL. V2.1.1 probably will make no difference if I'm right.

PS. Just had a thought I may try. If the MF takes over the volume control and assigns it to their iPad source then maybe the iPad faders can be used to control your background volume? Worth a try.

UPDATE: see  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=946.new#new
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:26:41 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS