Author Topic: DL 1608 and 32r videos  (Read 9184 times)

slystewart

• Padawan
DL 1608 and 32r videos
« on: March 14, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »
When buying the DL 1608 some 2 years ago I was before buying always looking for  hands on videos
by people using them in live situations  and events , seems to be  plenty of Mackie videos and company's
Selling the units but very few  real. Videos or U tube type demos.
Now looking at the 32r seems the same situation  plenty of corporate videos not many user ones.  . I might try put one on  but never done it before  so if any one out there done this kinda thing before I'll be the first to watch  .

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: DL 1608 and 32r videos
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 11:03:32 PM »
When buying the DL 1608 some 2 years ago I was before buying always looking for  hands on videos
by people using them in live situations  and events , seems to be  plenty of Mackie videos and company's
Selling the units but very few  real. Videos or U tube type demos.
Now looking at the 32r seems the same situation  plenty of corporate videos not many user ones.  . I might try put one on  but never done it before  so if any one out there done this kinda thing before I'll be the first to watch  .

It's pretty hard to be able to put something together in the heat of the moment on a real gig. I know I generally wouldn't have time. Maybe over the summer, I could convince one of my bands to put up with going through a setup-and-use video for the DL1608 (because it's what I have -- if someone wants to send me a DL32, I'd be happy to that one, too), but certainly not before.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 06:54:08 AM »
I did this live gig video back in December right after I got my DL32R, it is a horribly amature video shot by yours truly with just two GoPo cameras.
Also, the band had numerous subs that night playing because some of the band members were sick.
I did this just to experiment with recording multi-track with the attached USB hard drive to the USB port on the DL32R and then mixing it in Digital Performer
which is what I use for all my mixing. I wanted to MAKE SURE that the DL32R recorded with an accurate 48K sample rate and it did. The audio synced flawlessly with the video.
Video was edited in Final Cut Pro X on a Mac (of course)  :)

The second video is the unboxing of the DL32R,, I was like a kid on Christmas day as you will see in the video!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQkBhK35rA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQkBhK35rA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqM-jFLkWc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqM-jFLkWc</a>
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:08:36 AM by dpdan »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
I did this live gig video back in December right after I got my DL32R, it is a horribly amature video shot by yours truly with just two GoPo cameras.
Also, the band had numerous subs that night playing because some of the band members were sick.
I did this just to experiment with recording multi-track with the attached USB hard drive to the USB port on the DL32R and then mixing it in Digital Performer
which is what I use for all my mixing. I wanted to MAKE SURE that the DL32R recorded with an accurate 48K sample rate and it did. The audio synced flawlessly with the video.
Video was edited in Final Cut Pro X on a Mac (of course)  :)

The second video is the unboxing of the DL32R,, I was like a kid on Christmas day as you will see in the video!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQkBhK35rA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQkBhK35rA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqM-jFLkWc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqM-jFLkWc</a>

LOL Dan, the Christmas day analogy is perfect.
I think I'm worse than a kid :facepalm: ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:18:41 AM »
Nice video, live band, I don't see much of this any more,
 :)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 08:27:21 AM »
And I agree, with the other video post script, start the soundcheck with the vocals ,

A man after my own heart

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »
thanks Kevin,
as most of us here know, there are so many ways to set up and mix sound. I got a kick out of just connecting a hard drive.
Last night I recorded a symphony and did video as well with 10 cameras, I am editiing the video today and
will post a video of some clips from that concert. Completely different than the "band" video.

The symphony uses a pipe organ with a 32 foot stop. The lowest pedal (C) produces a 16 Hz. pitch.
For this recording, I used my Mac laptop running Digital Performer connected to the Mackie DL32R via USB.
I used two AKG C414 XLS microphones for strings, a stereo Schoeps CMXY4V microphone for woodwinds, brass and percussion,
and  a pair of Neumann KM 184 mics for the organ.

The DL32R had no problem capturing the fundamental tone of 16 Hz.
It is so low that even if you have a good subwoofer, it probably won't faithfully reproduce the low C since most subs drop off under 28 Hz., a complete octave below.

Thanks for the nice compliments Kev!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
Looking forward to some of those clips.   There really isn't another instrument quite like a pipe organ.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:24:27 PM »
Wynnd,
YES!
The King of Instruments  :)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 12:01:56 PM »
Cheers Dan

I am not one to complain ( :lol:)but I imagine all singers hate being "requested " to attend sound check, and then have to sit through bass drum for half an hour then overheads then all the rest of it only to find that hours later after a very quick one two  that all available headroom has been zapped by everyone else in the band and you then spend the whole gig straining yourself,

No business like show  business eh mate.

Keep it coming with the vids, it's nice after years in soloville  to see people playing and hitting things with sticks etc.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »
I can understand why one would want to verify the tonal qualities of a mic channel, but really, does the audience care that much or even able to notice if it's barely different?  I can see those places where you might use a gate or compressor.  (I find adding a compressor on the fly works OK for me.)   I would think that most audiences can't even tell when the organ is coming through a leslie or not.  (And when Mic'd Leslies are even more like the internal rotary effects.  That's the reason I refuse to mic my Leslies.) 

I have noticed that when the system is very flat to begin with, it sounds more consistent in a variety of places.  It would be nice to EQ for every room, but pink noise sucks.  (I go for the flat before arriving setup.)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:22 PM »
The audience probably won't notice a raft of issues but I would, having it sounding the way I want keeps me happy. That makes life easier for anybody nearby lol😉
The older I get, the better I was!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 04:33:33 AM »
Sound guys should be happy!!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 09:58:11 AM »
They always notice feedback  :facepalm:

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »
I have a saying.

When the sound is good, nobody notices

When the sound is bad, EVERYBODY notices!