Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL 1608 and 32r videos

<< < (5/6) > >>

sam.spoons:
When I'm mixing for a muso who sings (and it's virtually always wedges at my end of the food chain) they get their own vocal first and, if they play an acoustic instrument that too. Anything else they only get if they ask for it. I'd do it differently if it was IEMs, I'd ask them to tell me precisely what they want in their monitor mix.

My best monitor desk anecdote though is of the '60 band drummer who had a JBL PRX635 (135 dB SPL) monitor about a metre from his left ear and when asked what he wanted in it he said "drums, just drums nothing else, and as loud as you can" we reached the point of feedback with the clip light on the speaker blinking and he said "louder"!!! TBF, when I told him that was it he said "thanks" and got on with the job. He must have been as deaf as a post  ::)

dpdan:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on March 18, 2015, 12:24:02 PM ---I have a saying.

When the sound is good, nobody notices

When the sound is bad, EVERYBODY notices!

--- End quote ---
THAT'S THE TRUTH

robbocurry:
Often when faced with a musically challenged band who are failng on so many levels, the de-facto remark is:
"You can't polish a turd"

Kev tyler:
Yes but you can roll it in glitter,

Cheers gerenm, job in Ibiza with your name on?

What annoys me about working with a live band is how together tight w.h.y  you are when you work on a tight stage, and as soon as you start doing festivals and such, the band wants to set up as far away from each other as possible and have everything in monitors, recipe for disaster imho.

:)

Wynnd:
Yea, I saw a suggestion that if you usually setup tightly, that even on large stages, you should continue to setup tightly.  That way, the sounds that you are used to hearing are still the sounds you are hearing.  I have run into bands that didn't make the transition to outdoor stages where so much sound leaves the stage.  If you don't make up that loss in volume to compensate, some musicians get lost.  (Really, shouldn't you be rehearsing at much lower volumes anyway?) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version