Author Topic: DL 32R using hard drive for backing music  (Read 29820 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: DL 32R using hard drive for backing music
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 03:59:18 AM »
There are a few things I use my MacBook for that I can't do on an ipad.  Cubase Artist 6 is on the Macbook as well as the firewire input for interfacing with the Alesis Multi-mix 16 firewire that I use as an input device.  I'm still getting about 7 hours of typical use on the battery on a 2010 MacBook that will be 5 years old in June.  (And I had even upgraded the hard drive to a Momentus XT 750 GB Hybrid drive.  It's a little thirstier than the original and a lot faster.  Higher speed drive and that SSD portion is slick.  All the control of the SSD portion is internal to the drive, so no special software required.  Should work fine in any laptop.)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »
Hi guys

I am going to wager that ye olde usb format is pretty safe for a while, all my important personal stuff lives on hard drives, I wouldn't trust it to the cloud, ok maybe in the future I will browse this hard disk by plugging it's usb output in to a wireless router and streaming the data to a device devoid of a usb socket, but it sounds like overkill to me, and I hope usb via an adaptor to the new kid in town socket sticks around for a while yet,

Cheers

Kev

prosoundrentals

• Initiate
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »
Wait until you get the DL32R, then have the DL32R format the drive for you. Then you can load music into it.

All music must be 48Khz WAV files. No other formats are supported. If you have other formats on your computer, you can use iTunes to convert them to the correct format. Then plug the hard drive into your computer, and copy the files into the Music folder. Once you've done that, plug it back into the DL32R, and you'll see the music files through the MF app.

hello , I have tried this 4 times already .hard drive formatted, music converted to wav at 48hz.
I am able to record, and playback via the player, but no music appears on my "left side" for playback . any suggestions would be great ......other then that , I just switched from 16- to the 32r and im liking it !

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:05 PM »
I think i saw it has to be in the music folder ?
If in doubt ask

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »
I think i saw it has to be in the music folder ?
Correct. Make sure that your music files are in a folder called Music. If they are not, they won't show up.
Mackie Junkie

wkndwarrior

• Youngling
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
The one disappointment for me regarding the DL32R music playback system is that it will not let me load in my music files (or playlists) in the song order that I want. It seems to group the songs randomly, and then put them in numerical order. On my iPod, I have many different playlists of break music set up by genre, for different types of events. I have R&B, 80's, Blues, etc. that I play on breaks according the event, type of band, age of crowd, and so on. But with the DL32R, I can't find a way to do that. It seems to have a mind of its own. Not sure why Mackie set it up this way. It makes no sense to me.

If anyone knows of a workaround or way to do what I am describing, please let me know. Thanks!

slystewart

• Padawan
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
I don't have a DL 32 R yet just using the 1608 we do play what I called intro tracks on various songs and on the DL 1608  this can be a bit awkward skipping from Mackie master fader to the playlist also the point that the iPad has to be docked all the time to play back music I was hoping that on the DL 32r had a more simple way to put tracks down and put them in order or groups that you wanted them to be in I have looked on various sites to find demos of people using this on the 32r this seems to be a bit of a grey area and not explained very well

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 11:53:41 AM »
I have the same frustration. So I purchased an extended range BlueTooth receiver, and I connect my iPad to that. Now I can play whatever music I want, in whatever order I want.
Mackie Junkie

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
I don't understand why playback is so overlooked when you consider how many devices these days accept a usb stick,

I thought by now, that the Dl and the x air and all the rest would transmit playlist and song info from a stick inserted in to the usb slots on these devices straight to a page within the control app,  and I also thought that they would not fall over if it was not a wav or whatever.

Switching between control app and playback app is the main reason I have not jumped in to this market yet.

So I feel for you

Kev

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »
There's some weird issues with licencing MP3, M4A, WMA, and such - probably too expensive for Mackie et al to absorb just to have break music playback capability :( . I think OGG is free but who wants to hassle with that?

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 05:09:58 PM »
I don't know but I think if you can buy a CD player or DVD player from a grocer shop that plays pictures and videos and x vid and MP3.without a hitch and they have managed to get on with the legalities of it all, why can't mackie and Behringer do the sAme?

Kev😄

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »
There's some weird issues with licencing MP3, M4A, WMA, and such - probably too expensive for Mackie et al to absorb just to have break music playback capability :( . I think OGG is free but who wants to hassle with that?

If they use a decoding chip or DSP from a licensed company, then there is no additional licensing fee required. From the official licensing resource page (http://www.mp3licensing.com) FAQ:

We decided to license the manufacturers of mp3 encoder/decoder ICs/DSPs and not the manufacturers of finished hardware products as far as possible. Users of a licensed mp3 encoder/decoder ICs/DSPs do not have to conclude a separate license agreement with us for the use of such ICs/DSPs since the respective patent royalties will be paid by the licensed IC/DSP manufacturer.

A license is needed, in case you need to develop your own mp3 decoder/encoder software for the DSPs/ICs you are using in your hardware products.

Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »
Why oh why do they put the means to record and playback on these products, but make it so hard to do anything you need or want to do without workarounds? It doesn’t make too much sense.

The hardware is there, but it’s like this was an afterthought just like the DL1608 record feature. Surely it’s not too difficult to implement? Or do they really not care that much? Is it budget to put an unpolished feature in and not follow through? Like I said if the technology is there.

I don't use the DL to record that much and use AirPlay for walk-in music and backing tracks, but it would be nice to see a more accommodating feature implemented for all the DL32 owners who are frustrated with this issue.

Maybe the more technically knowledgeable here may have an explanation?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
Maybe the more technically knowledgeable here may have an explanation?
In the industry we call it "limited engineering resources" ;) :( .