Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL 32R using hard drive for backing music

<< < (6/13) > >>

Kev tyler:
I don't know but I think if you can buy a CD player or DVD player from a grocer shop that plays pictures and videos and x vid and MP3.without a hitch and they have managed to get on with the legalities of it all, why can't mackie and Behringer do the sAme?

Kev😄

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on April 15, 2015, 04:45:50 PM ---There's some weird issues with licencing MP3, M4A, WMA, and such - probably too expensive for Mackie et al to absorb just to have break music playback capability :( . I think OGG is free but who wants to hassle with that?

--- End quote ---

If they use a decoding chip or DSP from a licensed company, then there is no additional licensing fee required. From the official licensing resource page (http://www.mp3licensing.com) FAQ:

We decided to license the manufacturers of mp3 encoder/decoder ICs/DSPs and not the manufacturers of finished hardware products as far as possible. Users of a licensed mp3 encoder/decoder ICs/DSPs do not have to conclude a separate license agreement with us for the use of such ICs/DSPs since the respective patent royalties will be paid by the licensed IC/DSP manufacturer.

A license is needed, in case you need to develop your own mp3 decoder/encoder software for the DSPs/ICs you are using in your hardware products.

RoadRanger:
RTFS :
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=232.0
:)

Keyboard Magic:
Why oh why do they put the means to record and playback on these products, but make it so hard to do anything you need or want to do without workarounds? It doesn’t make too much sense.

The hardware is there, but it’s like this was an afterthought just like the DL1608 record feature. Surely it’s not too difficult to implement? Or do they really not care that much? Is it budget to put an unpolished feature in and not follow through? Like I said if the technology is there.

I don't use the DL to record that much and use AirPlay for walk-in music and backing tracks, but it would be nice to see a more accommodating feature implemented for all the DL32 owners who are frustrated with this issue.

Maybe the more technically knowledgeable here may have an explanation?

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on April 15, 2015, 08:19:40 PM ---Maybe the more technically knowledgeable here may have an explanation?
--- End quote ---
In the industry we call it "limited engineering resources" ;) :( .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version