Author Topic: pipe organ symphony recorded with Mackie DL32R and video  (Read 6467 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
pipe organ symphony recorded with Mackie DL32R and video
« on: March 23, 2015, 02:27:02 AM »
Hi everyone,
this is exciting for sure,.... well, at least to me.
Last weekend, I did video and audio recording, editing and mixing for a symphony featuring a Pipe Organ.
This organ (like many) has a 32 foot stop meaning, the lowest pedal (c) produces a root pitch of 16Hz, and it is faithfully recorded in the audio of this video.
The Mackie DL32R had no problem with that low frequency as can be fealt,,,,, "if" your subwoofer can reproduce 16hz.

Completely awesome experience.
Someone on this forum wanted to see and hear more videos pertaining to DL32R mixers by users, so I decided to post this youtube "excerpts" video.
Have fun listening!
Dan

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QZRj6zhB7Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QZRj6zhB7Y</a>

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:35:57 AM by dpdan »

James91104

• Knight
Re: pipe organ symphony recorded with Mackie DL32R and video
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:00:46 AM »
dpdan,
Excellent work for sure ! You should be very proud of the results. I would expect to see a link on the Mackie Facebook page soon. Would very much be interested in tech details of your A/V recording and post editing process if not revealing any trade secrets, of course if and when time allows.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:09:41 AM »
Hi James,
thanks for the nice compliments!
Absolutley no secrets here  :)

Did you play this through a pair of really good speakers or a pair with a sub?

Here is a short video Screencast where the actual pitch of the bass notes can be seen in the RTA section of Digital Performer's Eq.
Fun stuff for sure!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jRZkYByZlY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jRZkYByZlY</a>
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:28:04 AM by dpdan »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 04:12:04 AM »
Very sweet.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 04:16:14 AM »
I was so tickled when I heard those fundamentals come through so purely with the Mackie doing the recording  :)

What a world What a world What a world
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:00:26 PM by dpdan »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:33:03 AM »
Nobody has ever complained about the sound of the mixer.  (Effects yes, mixer no.)  And we know the preamps are just fine.  Recording verifies all that in a very nice way.  The improved multi-track recording capabilities of the DL32R will give a lot of people cause to consider an upgrade.  I still have my Alesis Multi-mix 16 firewire for that and don't see myself as needing more channels.  (And I don't really enjoy mixing down.  Everyone I run into wants a whole bunch of songs and I'd rather work with smaller numbers.)   

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 05:06:10 AM »
even if a buyer of the DL32R never needs multi-track recording, it sure is nice to have the features and decide gee,, maybe they do like those features.  :)
I thought I mentioned microphones in the youtube video but here goes....

Strings: a pair of AKG C414XLS mics in "Wide Cardioid" pattern,
Scheops CMXY4V stereo mic for Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion,
a pair of Neumann KM184 cardioid mics pointed towards the pipes.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:10:04 AM by dpdan »

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »
Oh, if only to bear witness, in person, a live performance. Sad to think one may never. :(

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:23 AM »
nothing quite like a good symphony live, while this isn't the best symphony in St. Louis, it is still a thrill that one will never forget.
Thanks James!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »
Thanks Dan

I think many of us would struggle to reproduce 16 hz, I run my bottom end between 40 and 80 cycles.

I hope my iPad does not melt

:)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
16hz! Really? Maybe you can see it, I'd be amazed if you could hear it and I don't think you could reproduce it on any PA system. Whatever do you have for subs?

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
Dan, that's an incredible wonderful video. Mackie should certainly post a link to that on their page. I'm quite impressed.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »
One of the beauties of a symphony.  No PA.  No subs and in a room like that, only natural reverb.  Rock musicians might have a hard time understanding music that doesn't assault the ears.  But the audience is quiet and respectfully actually listening.  Wish I had been there, but this video played at the levels my external computer speakers can reproduce well is close and very enjoyable.  (There is a sub on the floor.)  Good headphones might also be enjoyable.  Nice work Dan.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 06:10:58 PM »
Kev,, I hope it doesn't mealt too :)
that made me laugh outloud.

16hz! Really? Maybe you can see it, I'd be amazed if you could hear it and I don't think you could reproduce it on any PA system. Whatever do you have for subs?

anyone with halfway decent ears can hear the low C.
When it does begin to fill the room, it is so subsonic that the listener thinks,, is that a truck going by?
Nope, it's a bass note way down there. :)

In my living room I have an old pair of JBL 4301B studio monitors augmented with a Tannoy 110SB powered 10 inch sub. It does a wonderful job of producing the 16Hz pitch.
If this was to be played through a sound system, you would want your subs to not go any higher than 50 Hz or so. My double 18" subs are usually crossed over at 75 Hz.
Typically, the subs need to go only as high as the point where the top cabinets drop off ikn low end. Personally, I don't run my bi-amped top cabinets all the way down to 75, I have them going down to about 85.
This removes a lot of stress on the top cabinets for frequencies that subs can produce with far greater efficienty.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:12:36 PM by dpdan »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »
Pipe organ is a wonderful thing, I reckon you feel those low notes as much as hear them TBH