Author Topic: Higher Battery Drain with iPad Air 2 with Master Fader 3.X or just imagination?  (Read 2553 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Has anyone noticed that when running Master Fader 3.0.2 on the iPad Air 2, the battery seems to drain a lot faster from a full charge, even with the display dimmed considerably than it did on the older iPad 2 for example? I have both iPads side by side with a full charge and the iPad Air 2 battery drains faster than my iPad 2.

My old iPad 2 ends up with about a 5% higher charge after 2 hours than the Air. Not much difference, but noticeable. Bluetooth is off on both and no background apps are running on either. Could Master Fader 3.X be pushing the A8 CPU harder thus causing more current drain on the battery? It's not a concern per say, but just very curious.

Retina Display, A8 CPU and iOS 8.2 in combination with MF 3.X?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:54:42 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
I used MF3 last weekend and it did cross my mind that the battery was running down quicker than usual. Can't be sure but it was just a feeling. I'm doing another gig with the DL this Friday but I may revert to MF2 as I'm more comfortable with it. If I do stick with MF3 I'll watch the battery usage.

I'm on an iPad 3 64GB wireless (usually) and an iPad 2 docked. Sometimes they get swapped around.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Someone mentioned here a while back that a portable high mAh battery pack might be a good thing to keep in the tool box, for just in case, especially if the higher battery drain of the Air is worrisome. Although, I think a fully charged Air might be able to run MF for at least 3 hours at a gig. If you had to do longer than that, the battery pack might be a good investment.

Just have to remember to keep the battery pack fully charged at all times.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:16:35 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
Definitely a shorted battery life, seems like about 1/2 the old version.

Just stick the battery pack in your pocket and leave it plugged in since it doesn't charge the iPad that fast.
In case of real emergency, I pull the fixed iPad off the mixer and use that one while the main one is
Plugged in a wall socket to charge.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Sir Krang

• Padawan
My iPad air 2 battery drops about 15% per 45 min set.
Most gigs I do are only 3 sets, or less, so I reckon the battery usage is pretty good

frankiebass1

• Padawan
I noticed this two weeks ago and wrote it off to a long show and set up time. Whatever the difference truly is, there is a decrease in battery life with the latest software.  I keep a 2amp charger and lighting cable plugged in in my rack. Once it's break time I plug my mini or air in and get a bit of battery life back.