Author Topic: My First Big Show with the DL32R  (Read 8187 times)

wkndwarrior

• Youngling
My First Big Show with the DL32R
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:12:15 AM »
As background info, I'm a long-time sound tech, and have used the DL1608 a lot in the past successfully, so I am familiar with the software, and like the way it sounds. I recently upgraded to the DL32R, and spent some time getting familiar with the new software and the rack.

This past weekend, I did my first show with the DL32R. I work with a top area band and they were opening for a national act at a big venue here in town. I brought in my DL32R to use and tapped into the house PA. I had my DL32R rack on stage, under the drum riser, with the router on top of the rack. Sound check went fine, and it was great to be on stage with the band and get their monitor mixes the way they wanted.

I have read a lot on forums about wifi connection issues, dropouts, and other horror stories, so I was nervous before the show started, since the crowd there was over 1000 people. I knew that if there were any problems, it would probably be a disaster. We did have the house board if needed as a backup, but that was small comfort.

Well, I'm happy to say that the show went great and I had no problems at all. The wireless connection was rock-solid, and the sound quality was excellent. I was using my new iPad Air, and a Netgear N600 dual band router at 5GHz, which I used in the past successfully with the DL1608. I was pretty relieved to know that I can count on my new setup going forward. As others have noted, the built-in effects are just ok, but I am hoping that Mackie will be putting out new high-end reverbs/delays and other effects soon. When that happens, this mixer will be hard to beat!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: My First Big Show with the DL32R
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:36:11 AM »
Hi weekendwarrior,
thanks for your report,
i'm glad to hear everything went great!

I use an Apple Airport Express with tremendous rock solid results, is that what you used?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 03:51:45 AM »
I'm using an airport express too.  Mounted on the DL1608 rack mount kit so it's on the top of the mixing stack.  (Mine is a bit on the short side.  Barely high enough to adjust from my bench when playing keys.) 

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:04:40 AM »
I love that little router!

wkndwarrior

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:58:04 AM »
Hi weekendwarrior,
thanks for your report,
i'm glad to hear everything went great!

I use an Apple Airport Express with tremendous rock solid results, is that what you used?

It was a Netgear N600. I own two, and have never had any problems with them. At the show I posted about, my rack and the router were actually under the drum riser. I had no line of sight to it, and there were about a thousand kids between me and the router, yet I had a full-strength signal. I was worried about how that would work before the show, before all the people started coming in. All I can say is, it was a big relief to know that my new setup works great under extreme conditions.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 05:09:00 AM »
I agree, once you have a show under your belt without any hickups the shows after that are pretty much stress free :)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
This is, indeed, good news, wkndwarrior. I have my first large show coming up in May. I'll be working in a 9000 seat arena with my DL32R, and I'm hoping all goes well.
Mackie Junkie

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »
MIMO routers like the Netgear N600 have quite a bit more reliable range than non-MIMO routers. I carry two :) .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
This is, indeed, good news, wkndwarrior. I have my first large show coming up in May. I'll be working in a 9000 seat arena with my DL32R, and I'm hoping all goes well.
Whoa! That's a big gig!!
Much as I love all varieties of the DL, I'd be bricking it with wifi as my only means of control on a gig that size.
What do have for backup, just curious?
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
Whoa! That's a big gig!!
Much as I love all varieties of the DL, I'd be bricking it with wifi as my only means of control on a gig that size.
What do have for backup, just curious?
I plan to have my analog board there, just in case. It's an old, reliable, Mackie 32-8. I'm hoping I don't need it. Fingers and toes are crossed. LOL
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »
I'm not afraid of running my DL1608 for my typical crowds, but 9000 might get me spooked.  Largest I've ever done was 5000 and even that feels like a lot of people.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
It's not my biggest gig, but it is my biggest venue. I have another gig in September at the same arena. But that event also uses 4 or 5 breakout rooms, each seating 1000 to 2000 people. I provide the sound for all of them. But in the breakout rooms, I just put a small 8-12 channel analog mixer on the stage. The main show is in the arena. That event runs for 3 full days. This one in May is 1 full day.
Mackie Junkie

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 04:28:29 PM »
I'm not afraid of running my DL1608 for my typical crowds, but 9000 might get me spooked.  Largest I've ever done was 5000 and even that feels like a lot of people.
Whoa also to you Wynnd, that is quite a crowd for the mighty mini DL1608!!
The older I get, the better I was!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
That was when my best mixer was a CFX-12 and general PA through my 1965 Kustom PA speakers that I ran bi-amped.  There was a flatbed for a stage that lifted the Kustoms above the crowd.  the kustoms had Altec lansing 15"s and I had upgraded the horn drivers, so about 350 watts to the lows and 150 watts to the highs.  Outdoors in an open field.  Was a little marginal in the back of the crowd.  One warning, when the first nations say they're bringing a crowd, they really bring a crowd!!   Very interesting speeches.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »
And I thought that running sound for a gym full of noisy parents was a challenge. I am in awe of all of you who run shows with anywhere from 200 up to 1000 or more people. WOW.  :thu: :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler