Author Topic: My First Big Show with the DL32R  (Read 8210 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: My First Big Show with the DL32R
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »
I used my DL32R a few months ago at the Scottrade arena that seats almost 20,000,...
no problems at all with the wifi signal via Apple Airport Express. I was never more than a few hundred feet from the router though.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
That's excellent news, Dan. I use the Airport Extreme, so I'm sure I'll have no problems at all. :facepalm:
Mackie Junkie

wkndwarrior

• Youngling
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »
This is, indeed, good news, wkndwarrior. I have my first large show coming up in May. I'll be working in a 9000 seat arena with my DL32R, and I'm hoping all goes well.

After reading all the horror stories about people losing wifi connections and not being able to reconnect etc. when there are tons of people with cell phones present, I was sweating bullets once my show started. But after I realized my signal was strong and locked in, I was able to concentrate on mixing the show. I also own a X32, but I am moving away from full-size boards to wireless mixing on my iPad. I think this trend will continue for all but the largest festival shows. The key is a reliable connection under all circumstances. So far, so good!

Good luck with your show, and let us know how it went!

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »
Good luck with your show, and let us know how it went!
Thanks. I will.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 10:59:49 PM »
A noisy and reverberant gymnasium is just about the most challenging situation to provide good sound for.  Been there and hate doing that.  (Though I think I handle it better at this portion of my life.) 

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 09:59:33 AM »
Well I have to wonder did I get a duff AirPort Express, or do they just struggle on 2.4ghz ? I used mine for Vnc with two laptops and the unit let me down so much from a mere twenty feet or so that it's now gathering dust and  was replaced by a 2.4 ghz linkys wrt54g, and a cheAp flimsy other brand both of which worked without fault even when the audience was full of people looking for free wi fi.

I don't let the numbers get to me any more, I did a gig with my band, on the day of the towns  half marathon, and they said there would be 12000 people there watching us, translated it meant that 12000 runners would be running past the stage during the event.

:lol:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:05:03 AM by Kev tyler »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »
There is an older model of Airport express that can do either 2.4 or 5 Ghz but not both at the same time.  While you can't have gotten an old one directly from Apple in the last 18 months, you might have found an older one elsewhere.  The new one has a two conductor power cord and the old one had one of those fold out plugs attached directly to the router.  New one looks like a white version of Apple TV in shape and size.  And there always is that possibility of getting a bad one.  Assuming it's still under warranty, take it down to an Apple store and have them look at it.  If it's defective, they will replace it. 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »
A noisy and reverberant gymnasium is just about the most challenging situation to provide good sound for.  Been there and hate doing that.  (Though I think I handle it better at this portion of my life.)

I found that since I've been using the Yorkville PS12P cabs, the sound is fuller and carries without having to push the levels hard now. But that feedback monster is always lying in wait, lurking, though.  >:D  Gymnasium sound support can be a treat just the same.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
Hi wynnd

It's defo the new one mate, and is not an issue as I have ditched the laptop in favour of a pad hard wired via an audio cable to the desk, so no high tech for me any more.

Cheers

Kev