Author Topic: My 1st Time Recording Experiment With the DL1608 and Master Fader 3.X  (Read 13473 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
I have an informal recording session coming up soon for the school and needed to check out the new recording level feature in MF 3.X

It’s okay, but if you leave the levels at their preset values, the playback is still too low. I’ve found from experimentation, that they need to be set to max for each channel for a half decent raw recorded playback level. Obviously you have to tweak to taste. I don’t think that you’re going to run into distortion even at max levels. It all depends on the source and channel levels on the board too. I have my recording and main channel levels set to 0 dB, with the pre’s at 1:00.

I loaded the wav into Sound Forge and even at max rec’ levels on the DL the wav is still low in volume, but better than MF 2.X levels. I brought the level up in Sound Forge using a BBE Sonic Sweet Loudness Maximizer VST Plug-In, by 10 dB. No distortion and the wav was actually at the same level as the pre-recorded track I used for the test. And it still sounded as good as the original!

At least you can tweak the levels internally. Of course with the 1608 you still have to undock the iPad, connect to your PC in iTunes and save the wav before you can even listen to it. A minor irritation when you’re doing an informal recording session, since you have to carry your laptop to listen to your audio recording.

If you’re doing a serious recording, the DL1608 shouldn’t be your main recording platform IMHO, but still nice to have for quick takes, even with the lack of some features like the ability to listen to your track right from within the DL/iPad. That would be cool! Maybe Master Fader 4.X? Hint Hint  ;)

Still, it's a sign that Mackie was listening and added recording level controls.  :thu: :thu:

PS: I'm definitely going to use the DL for the on location recording this month.  :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:15:20 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
Re: My 1st Time Recording Experiment With the DL1608 and Master Fader 3.X
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
Generally the DL1608 mixer is so quiet that normalizing what looks like a weak signal still results in a very clean recording.  Actually sounds like you don't know how to normalize a track.  I know how to do it with Cubase.  Its got to be similar in other DAWs. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up. 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 03:13:47 PM »
Generally the DL1608 mixer is so quiet that normalizing what looks like a weak signal still results in a very clean recording.  Actually sounds like you don't know how to normalize a track.  I know how to do it with Cubase.  Its got to be similar in other DAWs. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up.

I'm very surprised you're not giving me enough credit here. Ouch!

Actually I’ve had many years experience editing audio, re-mastering audio cassettes to CD etc. So I actually do know a thing or 2 about normalizing multiple audio tracks or 1. This plug-in was my choice for bringing this particular test recording up to the original track levels. If I had more than one track to master to CD for example, then I would normalize them to make them all the same playback volume.

I use many tools and this one was my particular choice. Everyone does things differently to achieve similar results. And like I said I will be using this DL for the onsite recording, and very happy to do so. It runs very clean and does produce a pretty good recording, more than enough adequate for my needs.

I don't have a degree in audio engineering, but I think I do just fine. I'm sorry you feel that way.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »
Use the "Voice Record Pro" app, record to 24 bit M4A format. Then you can transfer the files wirelessly a whole bunch of ways from within the app. Post process it with "MP3Gain" with the 3rd party "AACGain" update (does not re-code so no quality loss) and you're done :) :
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:29:13 PM by RoadRanger »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »
Use Voice Record Pro, record to 24 bit M4A format. Then you can transfer the files wirelessly a whole bunch of ways from within the app. Post process it with "MP3Gain" with the 3rd party "AACGain" update and you're done :) :
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

And Bob's your uncle.  ;) Thank you for your constructive information. A very good suggestion, which I will try out too!  8) And thank you for the link. It's always good to have different tools to use. I never limit my self to just one "everything" product.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:33:53 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:47:01 PM »
Please note:

I thought it would be helpful to post this, just in case someone would benefit from it. It was just my personal observations and methodology. Plain and simple. I welcome any and all constructive criticisms and suggestions. That's what this forum is all about.  8)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
Sorry KM.  I only use the internal recorder to evaluate music quality.  Got other tools for more serious recordings.  I Dont enjoy mixing done recordings very much.  Gets tedious.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 04:18:24 PM »
Sorry KM.  I only use the internal recorder to evaluate music quality.  Got other tools for more serious recordings.  I Dont enjoy mixing done recordings very much.  Gets tedious.

Apology accepted.  8)  I agree, that if I were to do serious stuff the DL wouldn't be my go to either. This is for the school so I don't need heavy duty gear to record. Most there don't care if I spend a couple of hours on mixdown or if I'm using high end mics etc.  ::) It is what it is for sure.  ;)  But having said that, I still want to do the best I can so the final product sounds half decent to my ears without going overboard.  :)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 05:11:21 PM »
Just what we need.  Another sound guy whose pride prevents him from providing crap service.  (Wish they all were like that.  I'm starting to see more that are.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 05:23:48 PM »
Just what we need.  Another sound guy whose pride prevents him from providing crap service.  (Wish they all were like that.  I'm starting to see more that are.)

I'm just a lowly musician, more volunteer lately than paid, but I enjoy what I do. If you're gonna do something, always do the best you can, especially if you're passionate about it. That's why this is the 11th year I will be volunteering my services with the school and 21st year as a volunteer musician at our large veteran's hospital in Toronto.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:30:21 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
Recording with the DL Part Deux, if you're interested?

This was my result from experimenting with the DL and 2 iPads. Everyone will have a different method. This was posted for those that would be interested in my experiment only. I do welcome any suggestions, helpful comments and your own experiences. I am here to share and learn.

I found a cool way to record with MF and the DL1608 using your own recording app and control all levels and listen to the playback without having to remove the docked iPad and connect it to your computer using 2 iPads. I am using the Focusrite "Tape" app as my preferred recording medium. All recording and playback levels are controlled from the remote iPad with MF. The recording app is running from the docked iPad only. MF 3.X is installed on both iPads.

1: Load MF on the remote iPad. And connect to the DL wirelessly. (just in case it wasn't obvious)

2: Load your own recording app on the docked iPad.

3: My recording scene has CH.1&2 linked in stereo for 2 mics and the iPad channel to play back and listen to your recording from.

4: Run your recording app from the docked iPad. Manual Start only unfortunately.

And now you can record and playback the tracks with 2 iPads. No task switching between MF and the recording app and no removing the iPad from the DL to listen to your recording or adjust levels from the docked iPad. Obviously if you want to edit it, you can mail the track to yourself or connect your iPad to the computer, unless you have an audio editing app on the docked iPad.

And now I have a very quality versatile 16 Channel Reel To Reel Tape Deck from the DL1608. ;)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:40:36 PM by Keyboard Magic »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 06:06:55 PM »
1: Load MF on the docked iPad.
Why?

I had it loaded when I was task switching on the docked iPad, before I tried the remote iPad with MF. Never thought about it that way. Makes perfect sense you only need the recording app running on the docked iPad. I'll give it a whirl next time. Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:12:36 PM by Keyboard Magic »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »
Obviously if you want to edit it, you have you connect your iPad to the computer,
If you use Voice Record Pro you don't have to connect your iPad to your PC to transfer the files. Why use anything else? :)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »
Obviously if you want to edit it, you have you connect your iPad to the computer,
If you use Voice Record Pro you don't have to connect your iPad to your PC to transfer the files. Why use anything else? :)

"Tape" does the same thing. I just prefer to connect. Just me. But thank you for your input. I've modified my OP from your excellent observation.  8)