Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Bluetooth and docked/undocked iPad functions

(1/2) > >>

WK154:
I'll try to explain what happens with Bluetooth and the various iPad hookups. I don't have airplay devices but suspect similar results. When the iPad is docked the wired connection supersedes the Bluetooth connection (airplay as well) when a single iPad is used for both control and streaming music. Disconnecting the iPad restores both the music to whichever channel you have your Bluetooth device plugged into. Depending on the app it may pause streaming which require a continue (Music). I also tried VoiceRecord 7 similar results no continue required. Docking any iPad will switch to iPad input and terminate Bluetooth (and I suspect airplay) and play via iPad input. Hopefully not all that confusing. This is with iOS7.1.2 and latest MF3.x and I don't expect iOS 8.x to change that. Simply put if you want to stream music (wireless) don't dock any iPad with MF running. ;) MF 3.x eliminated white noise so playing off a docked iPad should now be no problem and not require using the 1 or 2 channels for either Bluetooth or airplay.

WK154:
Follow up on wireless control and Bluetooth streaming music. The once solid WiFi connection to the DL has now turned flake. It sometimes looses sync and recovers other times not without re-linking . The meter display gets laggie. Pausing streaming music and re-syncing clears up this problem, at least for a couple of hours with continuing BT music. Streaming music via Bluetooth never missed a beat. Looks like Mackie MF is still buggy or my iPad 3 is too slow. :(
UPDATE: A clarification the WiFi to the AP is just fine but the DL communications is flake. This is more of the yet to be fixed "sync" issue. My $85 iStudio in the 3 month I've had it NEVER lost sync or failed to play, something to be said for Behringer engineering. That was also with the 3 ft. extension cable. :)

Michael Welter:
I've not streamed music over the wifi connection. I've only used Bluetooth, and it's worked flawlessly. But I can see how streaming music over wifi could cause slowness in MF. The more data you send over the wifi connection, the slower it's going to be. Unfortunately, Bluetooth has a much more limited range than wifi. But I've had good luck with my extended range Bluetooth receiver.

WK154:

--- Quote from: Michael Welter on April 02, 2015, 08:58:01 PM ---I've not streamed music over the wifi connection. I've only used Bluetooth, and it's worked flawlessly. But I can see how streaming music over wifi could cause slowness in MF. The more data you send over the wifi connection, the slower it's going to be. Unfortunately, Bluetooth has a much more limited range than wifi. But I've had good luck with my extended range Bluetooth receiver.

--- End quote ---
Even the Bluetooth seems to slow MF down having to share resources. The Bluetooth range depends on the class, 1,2,3. One has up to the same range as WiFi but is hard to find. Two is the more common with up to 30 meters ~99 ft. The operative word here is "up to" so specs need to be checked.

Wynnd:
WiFi is less likely to be a problem depending upon the communication speed of the WiFi router and Mixer.  I think I'm running 300 Mbs using the 5 Ghz band and my ipad 2 and ipad mini.  I've decided that when possible, I'm going to remote control the docked ipad for low latency.  Got to watch out cause it's only 16 Gbytes.  (Probably should check and see if I'm right or just guessing.  I am just guessing, but think I might be right.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version