Author Topic: Mackie 1604VLZ-Pro - are balanced outputs really balanced?  (Read 17547 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Mackie 1604VLZ-Pro - are balanced outputs really balanced?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »
Actually it's a 18 bit system and of course the rest is individual opinion and there are lots.
Picoverb is actually 28 bits internally with 24 bit converters, Nanoverb 18. I've never compared the two but many say the Pico sounds better. I do know it sounds better than the FX in a MixWiz, I assume it is convolution based. Dunno if the DL has enough processing power left to run that?

Nanoverb 2 looks to be better than both :) .

EDIT> Or not :( : http://www.mattborghi.com/2014/08/06/alesis-nanoverb-2-review
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:13:09 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »
Actually it's a 18 bit system and of course the rest is individual opinion and there are lots.
Picoverb is actually 28 bits internally with 24 bit converters, Nanoverb 18. I've never compared the two but many say the Pico sounds better. I do know it sounds better than the FX in a MixWiz, I assume it is convolution based. Dunno if the DL has enough processing power left to run that?

Nanoverb 2 looks to be better than both :) .

EDIT> Or not :( : http://www.mattborghi.com/2014/08/06/alesis-nanoverb-2-review
It's always good to put it into perspective and live sound applications are certainly different from studio apps. The Nano has a 52bit DSP for internal processing and 18 out is more than you need for live sound. Matt is just one of many opinions or sour grapes. From what I understand the DL has 70-75% power in reserve. Most of the recent changes fell on the Blackfin not the DSP.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:01:50 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 12:33:33 PM »
Hi guys

I have a quadraverb here, the audience didn't complain about the reverb 20 years ago when I bought it, I doubt they will now, much of my work is outside and prone to odd reflections anyway, the boards are all separate and I might just try disconnecting the edit boards and hoping the main module will still function and  fit in a smaller case, and house it under my next mixer purchase if it's small enough to warrant that,

Thanks for the suggestions

Kev