Author Topic: Suggestions for a Small rack mixer as a backup  (Read 19591 times)

troy mcclure

• Padawan
Suggestions for a Small rack mixer as a backup
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:04:39 PM »
My lack of posts must mean i am getting the hang of the DL1608.  I currently carry a small desk form mixer as back up just in case but am thinking it would make better sense to find a 6-8 channel rack xlr mixer that can live in a case I will dedicate to the DL1608 and the power conditioner.  As it would only be for emergencies, I would only run vocals and kick in it so 1 Aux for the monitors would work....

Any suggestions?

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Suggestions for a Small rack mixer as a backup
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:32:06 PM »
I'm not aware of much available with 8/3 I/O in a 1U rack. My backup to the 1608 is a battered old Mackie 1202VLZ, it'll get me 3 or 4 vox and any DI's I need (the stereo line channels will handle a dynamic kick mic if pressed). No fx but I'm thinking of an A&H Zed 10fx to replace the 1202 if I sell the DL . The X32 Rack I bought last week makes the DL a bit redundant so it's up for sale but if it doesn't make a decent price I'll just keep it as a spare/bar gig desk.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:53:55 AM »
I see where you're coming from.  I carry my recording mixer as a backup, but haven't taken it out of the car.  (Cause I haven't needed it.)  The DL1608 hiccups a lot and has some quirks, but basically it's a good mixer.

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 03:37:53 AM »
I carry a little Allen & Heath ZED10 in a small briefcase that lives behind the seat in my truck. it only has 4 XLR's and 3 stereo line ins but it would be enough to get me through most gigs if the DL does poos and wees.
it only has 2 AUX which would be enough for some very basic foldback, and my 4RU rack has a backup DBX 231 EQ just in case, as well as my DBX Driverack PX.

Obviously with so few channels available on the ZED the drums would have to run unmiked for the gig, same with guitar, but i could still DI the bass, keys, or any other DI'd source.  :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »
Behringer XR12 ;) . I'm actually considering picking one up to use as a bass rig that I could mic the kick through also when I'm playing with someone else's vocals-only PA.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
I have an A&H ZED10 that lives in a small case in the van. I've never needed to use it as a backup (my DL never let me down) but it's done a few gigs just for the heck of it :)
The price of a DL806 makes them damn hard to ignore at the moment.
Proven and familiar for you?
The older I get, the better I was!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »
Ditto on the Zed10. Always take it into the gig, hasn't ever been the used. This DL has never let me down.  8)

I was going to suggest the XR12 and 16 as well. Seems to be a good price point for both, especially for all the features that are included.  ;) The 806, like robbocurry mentioned is also an excellent choice too. I think the XR's rack mount in a smaller space though.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
Hahaha there musta been a sale running on these little ZED10's  :lol:

Ripper little mixers!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »
Behringer XR12 ;) . I'm actually considering picking one up to use as a bass rig that I could mic the kick through also when I'm playing with someone else's vocals-only PA.
I like the idea of one of these too, but what should I keep as a backup to it?  :angel:

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »
I like the idea of one of these too, but what should I keep as a backup to it?  :angel:

Backup here for a moment! A backup of the backup of the backup?  :eek: Gonna need a bigger box, or van.  :lol:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Renoman

• Youngling
  • Loud and Clear
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
I have an 8 channel Carvin concert series, solid, cheap, 4 separate monitor sends + 2 effects built in and very logical, a great small board.
Lighter gear, fewer wires, everything on wheels!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »

Backup here for a moment! A backup of the backup of the backup?  :eek: Gonna need a bigger box, or van.  :lol:

You don't need a backup for the Zed10, you've got your DL  :facepalm:

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 01:15:09 AM »

You don't need a backup for the Zed10, you've got your DL  :face palm
You can never have enough redundancy  ;D

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 01:48:15 AM »

This is getting redundant. :lol:

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »

This is getting redundant. :lol:

As long as there's a good payout  :lol: