Author Topic: Suggestions for a Small rack mixer as a backup  (Read 19492 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
Re: Suggestions for a Small rack mixer as a backup
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 04:47:30 PM »
Hi robbo,

Sorry mate I don't have an issue with the Dl, the pricing for the 806 is right up my street, and the issues I guess I mention are  basically a single issue now, the reverb. As I said I have alesis and Yamaha  reverb units, but I just don't want to buy a Dl and a new rack and that bit of metal and that plastic thing and the dock while I am getting by ok ish with my analogue desks,

I am glad that the other  Dl stuff has been dealt with, and I am sure you are all happy with your lot, it's just unfortunate for me that while I have been dilly dallying,  and hypnotized by " coming soon" I have relocated started a family and took a huge pay cut and now work with totally  untechnical guest acts who need hand holding with a basic normal desk, I do enjoy participating in these forums and I am sorry that my lack of ownership winds people up, I don't mean to do this, but I like it here and still feel that the manufacturers need to hear my voice regardless of ownership or not.

With relation to the original question surely a Dl 806 at 400 odd euros is the only spare mixer one would need in case of a failure, and the football , yakk, it's the curse of this costa, nothing happens onstage  here until the 6 blokes have finished watching the footy,

Cheers

Kev
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:51:34 PM by Kev tyler »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
Hi robbo,

Sorry mate I don't have an issue with the Dl, the pricing for the 806 is right up my street, and the issues I guess I mention are  basically a single issue now, the reverb. As I said I have alesis and Yamaha  reverb units, but I just don't want to buy a Dl and a new rack and that bit of metal and that plastic thing and the dock while I am getting by ok ish with my analogue desks,

I am glad that the other  Dl stuff has been dealt with, and I am sure you are all happy with your lot, it's just unfortunate for me that while I have been dilly dallying,  and hypnotized by " coming soon" I have relocated started a family and took a huge pay cut and now work with totally  untechnical guest acts who need hand holding with a basic normal desk, I do enjoy participating in these forums and I am sorry that my lack of ownership winds people up, I don't mean to do this, but I like it here and still feel that the manufacturers need to hear my voice regardless of ownership or not.

With relation to the original question surely a Dl 806 at 400 odd euros is the only spare mixer one would need in case of a failure, and the football , yakk, it's the curse of this costa, nothing happens onstage  here until the 6 blokes have finished watching the footy,

Cheers

Kev
Fair play Kev. ;)
If it ain't broke and all that..... :thu:

The older I get, the better I was!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »
yes robbo

But when the right new product comes along I will tell the wife my old but perfectly fine product is broke

:)

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 06:12:36 PM »
yes robbo

But when the right new product comes along I will tell the wife my old but perfectly fine product is broke

I need to learn to be a little less honest, I guess. I thought I'd blown my keyboard amp at a gig the other night, which I told her. But I also told her that it was still working okay after I tested it the next day... Hmmm... Guess I didn't really think that through, did I?  :eek:
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
Telling tales to your spouses to get new gear? Shameful. Never did it in 27 years of marriage.  :angel: 

PS: I'm keeping an eye out for errant lightning bolts!  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »
There is some truth to Tyler Perry's "Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned". Beware of lies, they always have a way of finding out, it's in their DNA.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:25:41 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »
What's that gag?

If I die , I hope the wife doesn't sell my gear for what she thinks I paid for it

Or similar?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 04:47:30 PM »
What's that gag?

If I die , I hope the wife doesn't sell my gear for what she thinks I paid for it

Or similar?

HA HA HA

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 07:18:54 PM »
I should do an inventory of current values of my most cherished gear. My '75 Les Paul Custom cost me £313 (new) in 1978, it's not mint and only mostly original, being my main guitar for the first 20 years but it's probably just about kept pace with inflation so is probably worth £1600-1700 now (plus the pleasure it has afforded me over the years).  8)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
So in woman land, it's worth about 100 quid,

I wonder does anyone ever leave a "what to do in case of " note for the wife?

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »
So in woman land, it's worth about 100 quid,

I wonder does anyone ever leave a "what to do in case of " note for the wife?

I'm involved in some other interests as well, and in those areas, we certainly do!
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 06:59:20 PM »
I wonder does anyone ever leave a "what to do in case of " note for the wife? :)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiEFyTuuh8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiEFyTuuh8</a>

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2015, 08:47:51 AM »
Cheers mate

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
No-one can beat this for a backup.  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=355.0
Last time I bagged 6 for $49.99 and $29.99 of that was shipping. Add a fan for $8 and you need to be handy making cables. Mount a 32 connector panel in the back and you can switch in less than 2 minutes from your DL1608 to 8 mic/line and 4 line inputs (loose the drums). Far less adjustments especially if you're a performer/FOH type. Yes you need a PC of sorts for setup but that can be done beforehand. I also bring out three switches for emergencies Mute and volume up and down on output 1 (L&R). It also has a lot of filters, compressor, delays and crossover functions along with lots of setup tools (White,Pink,single and scanning freq.). It understands NOM. You can go all out with macros and lots of setup storage. The pre's are  better than Mackie's or Behringer's. It did after all have a MSRP $5200 price tag in 2002. Just don't buy one with a dead fan like Sam or Robbo ( sorry forgot who) and expect it to last.
Not me Bill, hard to get that cheap this side of the pond  :(

EDIT: I stand corrected, just saw two on eBay for £30 plus P&P. Might dip my toe just to see what they're about....

EDIT TWO: Oops! Just bought one for £25. Will check the fan 1st thing!
Probably right £ for one unit. Word of caution shut off AEC and NP or you can get some interesting side effects. The unit's main goal was vocal clarity and remote voice  communication. So unless delay's are adequate for FX you need external FX if you're into that. Just as a feedback control (up to 15 notch filters) and setup aid it's paid for itself. I've used them for going on 9 years even cascading units, delay is 150 microseconds input to output unless you send it thru the secondary filters which adds another 150 microseconds. Compared to 1500 microseconds for the DL. I've used them remote (USB Bluetooth to RS232) with a tablet (Toshiba R15, meters are slow but then you can get used to them like the MF3). Lots of additional features and it can be used for many functions limited only by your imagination. Solid design intended for 24/7/365 unattended operation.
Hey WK,
My XAP800 arrived the other day. :)
It's a nice clean unit inside and out with a good fan.
It hooked up with my MBP on Bootcamp without much fuss, just a Baud rate change on the unit.
Just waiting on a few more Phoenix connectors to arrive before I rack it up.
Curious about your wireless Bluetooth control of the unit, just wondering what particular adapter you used for that?
Now I need to spend some time familiarising myself with G-Ware to route some pseudo AUXes if I can.....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:02:07 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »
I originally purchased these http://gridconnect.com/industrial-wireless/bluetooth-serial/bluetooth-serial-port.html  several years ago, but this outfit http://www.usconverters.com/serial-rs232-bluetooth-adapter    has similar units for a lot less. Maybe you can find someone in the UK that carries or even makes this.
When in doubt KISS