Author Topic: Voice record pro/ voice record pro7  (Read 13394 times)

Silvertopsolarnut

• Youngling
Voice record pro/ voice record pro7
« on: April 16, 2015, 07:37:02 PM »
Just downloaded both to see the difference,VRP7 to my ears sounds cleaner. So my question is are these recorders stand alone?  If I still want to record the L/R mains am I stuck going back to the internal dl1608 recorder and iTunes ?  I had hoped mackies app and voice record pro would work together......

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Voice record pro/ voice record pro7
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:00:01 PM »
According to the developer, they are 100% identical except for the "skin". And yes, they can record whatever the Master Fader app can record.

Silvertopsolarnut

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »
I was just unsure how to hard connect the I pad with the dl1608 main out XLRs.  I went looking and found 1/8 to XLRs mic adapters on line for external iPad mics.  I didn't know the phone out was also the mic in......If I'm going down the wrong path let me know.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:32:35 PM »
I was just unsure how to hard connect the I pad with the dl1608 main out XLRs.  I went looking and found 1/8 to XLRs mic adapters on line for external iPad mics.  I didn't know the phone out was also the mic in......If I'm going down the wrong path let me know.
Bad idea due to universal phantom power. Get 3.5mm to TS connectors that way you won't eventually kill your iPad.
When in doubt KISS

Silvertopsolarnut

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »
3.5mm to 1/4 ts is mush safer to avoid phantom power when inputting sound. I also need to record out and the only two options I know of are phones out or mains XLR out.  I Thought I read that phones out to IPad could damage the I pad?   I figured Keep it simple and XLR out of the main to IPad, I don't believe mains out XLR has universal phantom. Anyone know for sure.....

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »
I would also like to learn the basics of recording my live shows. I've stayed away from it after reading about the MF recording program and it's limitations.

So what you're saying here is that you install this voice record program on a spare iPad, connect it via the headphone 1/8 jack to a main or mon output on the board, and make your recordings?

Silvertopsolarnut

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:10:43 PM »
I haven't set this up yet, I'm trying not to make any mistakes.  I used to record on our old bands Presonus to Mac mini.  I believe this is correct, just looking for anyone who has done this.  I'm not looking for studio quality, just something I can mix out for a descent sound and not spend a lot on......

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
Why aren't you just docking it?

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:31:01 PM »
Why not just record to Voice Record via the dock connection?  Why use the XLR output of the dl1608 into a cludgy connector/adapter mess?

Start your voice record software while your iPad is docked and Master Fader is running.  It works fine.  If all you are trying to get is the L/R mains recording.

Silvertopsolarnut

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
I have the IPad docked, the recorder works fine but you can't replay back through the house to let everyone listen.  You need to take the I pad home hard connect to our Mac mini and file share through iTunes.  Them I read that people were using Voice record pro and it can play back on the spot, sounds like a winner, but as far as as I can see it just works like a handheld recorder.  That's why I was trying to replace the internal recorder with one that would record our house mix out of the board and give everyone a listen.....

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
Anyone know for a fact if the L/R output is carrying phantom power ever?  Inputs I understand, but the way I was reading it was that the op was wanting to take the L/R output and put it into an undocked ipad. 

As far as docking the ipad, that should work for recording, then playing back through the ipad channel.  (I'd do this before purchasing any cables.)   I think your recording program would work in that setup and I also suspect that the internal patching would also work so you could still pick your sound source.  (If anyone knows this to be wishful thinking only, please let me know.  I don't do much recording through the ipad.)

Silvertopsolarnut

• Youngling
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 11:04:07 PM »
I was going to dock it and try a test with voice record pro and see if it did patch back just haven't been able to yet. 
We leave the DL1608 at the stage and the IPads we take home,and are going out of town till next Saturday.  This is going to bug me till we get back and try.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »
Yes you are going down the wrong path. I answered your cable question thinking you would connect whatever to the mixer. If on the other hand you're just wanting to use VoiceRecord to record and playback on the DL you need to dock it and of course use MF3.x. No cables required, no inputs used up not meant for recording. You can however remap the iPad record input with your own selection of channels not just L&R. The MF3 has no control over VoiceRecord in the start/stop area, you need to switch to VC for that. It's not a hardship since you really can only do one thing at a time anyway. If you want to complain target Apple for their sandbox the apps concept. When all else fails RTFM.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:27:12 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 08:33:54 PM »
Yes you are going down the wrong path. I answered your cable question thinking you would connect whatever to the mixer. If on the other hand you're just wanting to use VoiceRecord to record and playback on the DL you need to dock it and of course use MF3.x. No cables required, no inputs used up not meant for recording. You can however remap the iPad record input with your own selection of channels not just L&R. The MF3 has no control over VoiceRecord in the start/stop area, you need to switch to VC for that. It's not a hardship since you really can only do one thing at a time anyway. If you want to complain target Apple for their sandbox the apps concept. When all else fails RTFM.

Thanks for the clarification. Can I use Voice Record this way with MF 2.x?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:44:54 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. Can I use Voice Record this way with MF 2.x?
It's a crap shoot since "white noise" is still a possibility AFAIK not fixed in MF classic. Most won't have a problem but Murphy is alive and well. ;)
When in doubt KISS