Author Topic: Voice record pro/ voice record pro7  (Read 13377 times)

stevegarris

• Knight
Re: Voice record pro/ voice record pro7
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:55 PM »
I was just unsure how to hard connect the I pad with the dl1608 main out XLRs.  I went looking and found 1/8 to XLRs mic adapters on line for external iPad mics.  I didn't know the phone out was also the mic in......If I'm going down the wrong path let me know.
Yes you are going down the wrong path. I answered your cable question thinking you would connect whatever to the mixer. If on the other hand you're just wanting to use VoiceRecord to record and playback on the DL you need to dock it and of course use MF3.x. No cables required, no inputs used up not meant for recording. You can however remap the iPad record input with your own selection of channels not just L&R. The MF3 has no control over VoiceRecord in the start/stop area, you need to switch to VC for that. It's not a hardship since you really can only do one thing at a time anyway. If you want to complain target Apple for their sandbox the apps concept. When all else fails RTFM.

Thanks for the clarification. Can I use Voice Record this way with MF 2.x?
It's a crap shoot since "white noise" is still a possibility AFAIK not fixed in MF classic. Most won't have a problem but Murphy is alive and well. ;)

I thought that the white noise problem was related to iPad playback via airplay. So I could potentially get it just by hitting the record button on a docked iPad?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 12:35:57 AM »
white noise is in Master Fader 2.1.1.....  And in classic.  It's fixed in Master Fader 3.x  Most of us never experienced it, but if you use the classic version, it might raise its ugly head.  While Mackie fixed the problem, they didn't tell us what actually caused it.  I'm guessing that they just rewrote most of Master Fader as the fix.  (Maybe all of it.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »
white noise is in Master Fader 2.1.1.....  And in classic.  It's fixed in Master Fader 3.x  Most of us never experienced it, but if you use the classic version, it might raise its ugly head.  While Mackie fixed the problem, they didn't tell us what actually caused it.  I'm guessing that they just rewrote most of Master Fader as the fix.  (Maybe all of it.)

It's a good bet that they probably really didn't know the cause either. Like you said they fixed it with MF 3.X and that's all that counts.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 02:02:40 AM »

It's a good bet that they probably really didn't know the cause either. Like you said they fixed it with MF 3.X and that's all that counts.  ;)

So you guys are saying it just happens randomly? I've never experienced it in 2 years, probably 60 or more gigs.

I could swear that it only happened to users of Airplay. I'll have to look back and do some reading.

Regardless - Can anyone answer my question about using Voice Record with MF 2.1? Does it just work when you install the software, and push the record button in MF? Or do I need the routing function available in 3.0?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 03:07:39 AM »

So you guys are saying it just happens randomly? I've never experienced it in 2 years, probably 60 or more gigs.

I could swear that it only happened to users of Airplay. I'll have to look back and do some reading.

Regardless - Can anyone answer my question about using Voice Record with MF 2.1? Does it just work when you install the software, and push the record button in MF? Or do I need the routing function available in 3.0?
I already answered that, what don't you understand?  The MF3 has no control over VoiceRecord in the start/stop area, you need to switch to VC for that. Nor does 2.x or classic.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:10:36 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 04:31:35 AM »
You don't even need Master Fader installed on the docked iPad to be able to record from the DL1608 through the docking connector into most any app that can record. Obviously you need Master Fader on some connected iPad to control the mixer - whether docked or connected wireless. Most recording apps can continue recording in the background if you need to switch to another app such as Master Fader.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 08:24:33 AM »
I don't recall anyone having the white noise from airplay.  I only recall it coming from the ipad channel while docked and playing music through it.  And most of us never experienced it.  (Never happened to me.)  So if you're running classic and playing music through airplay, you shouldn't have it happen.  (Because with airplay, you're using regular channels for the music.)    There will be a lot of DL1608 users who never had it happen.  There are a few users who had it happen any time they played music out the ipad channel for more than a few minutes.  And there is that scary part that just because you've never had it happen, doesn't mean it won't happen.  (Only with Master Fader 2.x or MF Classic.)  However Mackie fixed it in MF 3.x  they deserve Kudos.  Not easy figuring out intermittent bugs.  Easier to find something that is just broken.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »
I had the white noise problem, nothing to do with airplay (never use it). Just happened with docked ipad and seemed to be provoked when doing something like changing screens or EQing.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 09:03:56 PM »
I don't recall anyone having the white noise from airplay.  I only recall it coming from the ipad channel while docked and playing music through it.  And most of us never experienced it.  (Never happened to me.)  So if you're running classic and playing music through airplay, you shouldn't have it happen.  (Because with airplay, you're using regular channels for the music.)    There will be a lot of DL1608 users who never had it happen.  There are a few users who had it happen any time they played music out the ipad channel for more than a few minutes.  And there is that scary part that just because you've never had it happen, doesn't mean it won't happen.  (Only with Master Fader 2.x or MF Classic.)  However Mackie fixed it in MF 3.x  they deserve Kudos.  Not easy figuring out intermittent bugs.  Easier to find something that is just broken.

Good to know. I've never used the iPad channel and likely never will.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 12:52:36 AM »
With the DL806 or DL1608, there are times when channels are in short supply.  That's when the ipad channel comes in handy.  Remember, there isn't a problem with Master Fader  3.x. 

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 07:04:35 AM »
With the DL806 or DL1608, there are times when channels are in short supply.  That's when the ipad channel comes in handy.  Remember, there isn't a problem with Master Fader  3.x.

Yep, and one of the main selling points for me was that i would get to use ALL 16 channels for mixing instead of sacrificing 2 channels for set break music, which effectively makes a 16 channel mixer only a 14 channel mixer.
This wouldn't be a problem for me if it was a DL2408   8)

The White noise problems I had prior to MF3 were present on both my DL1608's, and would happen without fail every time I tried to play music from a docked iPad. Any docked ipad.

BenO tried to explain to me HOW it was happening, but they didn't know WHY it was happening.

Doesn't matter anymore because MF3 fixed that problem completely. Not one singe incident of "white noise" since updating to MF3.

I finally had the 16 channel mixer I paid for :)

4mal

• Padawan
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 02:14:49 AM »
Given the DL's ability to record only 2 tracks...  Assuming that the OP is making noise while playing - not everybody playing direct and monitoring on phones - I would just hang a used Zoom H2 or H4 and patch it to a couple of cables.  If there is no noise involved, creat and aux mix and send that to a recorder's inputs direct and patch the outputs back.

I like the DL a bunch but live recording is a complete after thought.  As a small sound co guy, my SL boards generate revenue via live recording.  My DL does not...  Which is sad as there is a lot to love about the DL's workflow and packaging.

4mal

• Padawan
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 02:20:25 AM »
I use the iPad channel for background at every gig.  No issues since the first time I undocked while the music was playing - once was enough!   Nice to know that MF 3.x cured other random stuff though... 

So the iPad channel saves a couple of tracks but in reality so do the effects returns.  Back in the bad old analog days I always burned an additional pair of channels for a rev and a delay return so that I could apply the channel strip EQ as well...  I would go back to analog in a heartbeat... If someone was holding a gun to my head...

Silvertopsolarnut

• Youngling
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
Finally got to try recording with this program and the DL1608; docked the iPad; opened VRP; noticed that the gain is missing when it's docked.  Made a recording and switched back to Master Fader and played back through the house; very nice, good volume.  Undocked the iPad; tried to listen to the recording from VRP both with iPad speakers and powered speakers-NO volume.  Noticed that the VU meters on VRP-that the recording level was weak, but recorded anyway as there was no way to adjust gain.  Did not want to mess with the gain for Master Fader as it would have changed our levels out of the house.  I thought I read somewhere that some folks were using AUX 6 to record from.  Can someone verify that this works for the volume issue, or is there another way?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »