Author Topic: DL32 PC control  (Read 10151 times)

Zapme

• Youngling
DL32 PC control
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »
Does mackie have any plans to release a PC or Mac control program for the dl32r?  For those moments when an iPad or wifi router go down.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: DL32 PC control
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 11:52:21 AM »
^ That's why I carry two or more iPads and a pair of wireless AP's 8) . But with the DL1608 I still have the option to dock - the DL32R scares me :( .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:11:42 PM »
One good thing is if the WiFi connection goes down, the mixer stays at its last settings.  You can at least control the volumes using My Fader 3.x from an iphone.  (Think works from model 4 on.)  That was my first ipad backup.  I later decided to get an ipad mini too.  (And I'm running a DL1608)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »
I've not heard of any plans to come out with a PC/Mac version of Master Fader. Keep in mind, that the more formats a vendor produces of an app, the highers their costs become.
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »
If they have an Ethernet port, albeit for connecting a wireless router, could not a firmware patch enable the Ethernet port to do dual duty by allowing you to connect a laptop to it via a Cat 4 or 5 cable? Of course this would require MF to be ported to Windows or Mac OS. Or is the current hardware not capable of doing this?

And as Michael just posted, it might be cost ineffective to the consumer. Even though Behringer has done it for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS  and kept the apps free for now.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:49:53 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »
If they have an Ethernet port, albeit for connecting a wireless router, could not a firmware patch enable the Ethernet port to do dual duty by allowing you to connect a laptop to it via a Cat 4 or 5 cable? Of course this would require MF to be ported to Windows or Mac OS. Or is the current hardware not capable of doing this?

And as Michael just posted, it might be cost ineffective to the consumer. Even though Behringer has done it for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS  and kept the apps free for now.  ;)
You forgot Linux, that makes 5 platforms. Had Mackie opened up the communications protocol Mandolin they would by now be better off because third party developers might have given them at least one more platform. Behringer's Android app was done that way. Instead they threatened one with legal action (my guess on Metacom) for trying.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »

You forgot Linux, that makes 5 platforms. Had Mackie opened up the communications protocol Mandolin they would by now be better off because third party developers might have given them at least one more platform. Behringer's Android app was done that way. Instead they threatened one with legal action (my guess on Metacom) for trying.

You would think that if Master Fader was available for other platforms, it would be beneficial to Mackie in the form of more product sales and give more choices to the consumers instead of keeping their protocol under lock and key. Is it exclusivity? Or an agreement with Apple or another party that they are locked into?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »
There is a group of anti-Apple people who will never buy anything that requires apple products to work.   (Just like I hated the Beatles for being popular.  Stupid, cause they made great music.  I grew out of it.)   Support for Android would open Mackie's digital mixers to those people.  (I think it's a short list.)  And there is a level of ease of porting some types of software. 

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 05:59:14 PM »
That's not up to Mackie. Android has an inherent delay that would make Master Fader unworkable. Imagine seeing someone walk up to the podium, and so you quickly unmute the mic, and it take 2 second to actually unmute. Until Google fixes that issue, there won't be an Android version of Master Fader.
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 06:18:53 PM »
That's not up to Mackie. Android has an inherent delay that would make Master Fader unworkable. Imagine seeing someone walk up to the podium, and so you quickly unmute the mic, and it take 2 second to actually unmute. Until Google fixes that issue, there won't be an Android version of Master Fader.
Would you like to explain why mute/unmute on my Android phone is almost instantaneous. I think you have bad information or an example of a bad app. My XR18 is also as responsive.
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 06:25:14 PM »
When this was first pointed out, by Mackie, I, too, was skeptical. But it has to do with wireless communication. I tested it by downloading a Microphone app to my Android phone, and connecting it to a Bluetooth speaker. Sure enough, when I spoke into the phone, there was a delay before my voice came out of the speaker. The maker of the app also reported this inherent delay in Android wireless communications.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:27:30 PM by Michael Welter »
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »
When this was first pointed out, by Mackie, I, too, was skeptical. But it has to do with wireless communication. I tested it by downloading a Microphone app to my Android phone, and connecting it to a Bluetooth speaker. Sure enough, when I spoke into the phone, there was a delay before my voice came out of the speaker. The maker of the app also reported this inherent delay in Android wireless communications.
You're adding another device which is known to have delay in transmitting, namely Bluetooth. Standard Bluetooth has anywhere from 200-300 milliseconds of delay unless you use AptX low latency which would be <32 ms. Sorry, your test is meaningless. Normal hearing will detect upwards of 20 ms as a delay. How do you explain XR18 response? Not having one makes it difficult I understand. I've only had my phone now for 2 days and I'll be looking for a VoiceRecord type app etc. ,just haven't had time. :)
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 06:50:33 PM »
I can't explain the XR18 response, since I don't even know what that is. I'm just reporting what Mackie told me.
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »
I can't explain the XR18 response, since I don't even know what that is. I'm just reporting what Mackie told me.
It's only the most posted topic on this forum. http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=754.0
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
Ahh... I haven't been following that thread, as I'm not interested in getting another wireless mixer. I just bought the DL32R in December, and will be sticking with it for some time.
Mackie Junkie