Author Topic: Dl32r multitrack recording- different volume during playback  (Read 4517 times)

Markk70

• Youngling
We have been recording at rehearsal and my drummer insists the volumes when the tracks are played back are different then when we play live.  Do I have a crazy drummer or is anybody else experiencing this issue?

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: Dl32r multitrack recording- different volume during playback
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:31:57 AM »
You have a crazy drummer.  ;)

My experience is that the recorded playback sounds like it's live.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »
And if you're mixing down with any audio editor, you can normalize every channel.  (Something I always do.)  So it's not much of an issue.   Definitely not something to get upset about.

Soundbyte

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »
I recently did a 24 track recording and yes, when I played the tracks back they were hotter. They were also peaking like crazy. It's possible that the trims need to be adjusted prior to laying down tracks, however I haven't tried it yet.

Markk70

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:18:27 PM »
We tried it again this week and some of the recorded tracks are hotter.  So, I noticed that mute does not work when playing back multitrack?  Is it possible none of the effect/compressor work when playing back usb audio?  That would certainly account for hotter tracks as the louder ones have compressor when recorded live.    While this isn't a big deal if recording for a CD, it makes the machine worthless for virtual playback.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:01:17 PM »
We tried it again this week and some of the recorded tracks are hotter.  So, I noticed that mute does not work when playing back multitrack?  Is it possible none of the effect/compressor work when playing back usb audio?  That would certainly account for hotter tracks as the louder ones have compressor when recorded live.    While this isn't a big deal if recording for a CD, it makes the machine worthless for virtual playback.
Easy enough to mess with the compression on a channel and see what's what. Also I'd be shocked if the mutes don't work - definitely a WTF were they smoking that day ;) ?

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:07:51 AM »
Personally, I'd rather have the recorded tracks pure (no compression or FX), since I can always add that after the fact post production in my DAW. As long as the signal isn't distorted would be more of my concern. Honestly, I don't use compression on vocals and very light on instrumentation. I would be concerned about the muting thing. and virtual playback.  Maybe having the best of both worlds and allowing to record pre or post DSP.  Have they added the 24 to 32 channel recording capability in 3.1.1?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Soundbyte

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »

I agree, the signal on the USB input has to be exactly the same level as it was coming off the preamp when the tracks were recorded. Otherwise, you'll end up with mismatched levels during a virtual sound check.

Soundbyte

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
I'm going to dig out my function generator and scope and find out what's going on.

Markk70

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 12:31:28 AM »
So...messed around more with it.    It appears the gain levels on the pres playback louder.   The gain level is actually the the record input level.   So, you need to set gain to 0 and use the trim for levels to increase the input.

So...problems still unresolved.

1.  Unable to mute or solo tracks on playback of usb hard drive.
2.  Playback mix is at least 3 db louder than live.

any ideas?

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 06:11:31 PM »
Hi Mark,

I would do a recording to a laptop with whatever tracking software you like.
Run your mixer inputs near, but not in to clipping.
I would be happy as long as the tracking software doesn't see any clipping.

Are you recording loops and playing them back live, and then this level difference is an issue?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Markk70

• Youngling
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 06:14:34 PM »
Thanks.  I will give that a shot.  I didn't really want to drag a laptop to a show, but that might be the best option.

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
Hi Mark,

You might want to try this at a non-show time.
This way you could send test tones in to the mixer with the level set at 1db below clipping.
If the recording program sees an extra 3db, it will show clipping.

Please report back and let us know what you discover!

Thanks and good health,  Weogo