Author Topic: Phantom Power Issue  (Read 7993 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Phantom Power Issue
« on: May 02, 2015, 03:12:09 AM »
Anybody else have this happen.

When phantom power is on channel 8 makes noise even without any thing connected. Its quite a strong signal, and makes that channel unusable.

It works fine with phantom power off - so it sounds like somethings up with the preamp.

Any suggestions on how to fix it.

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Phantom Power Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:09:35 AM »
Sounds like a problem with your mixer.  I've never experienced it.  I bought a small mixer with phantom power to deal with that need.  I hate global phantom power.  (But have used it from time to time.  Just trying to move away from it.)   Not aware of any easy fixes.  Could be a flakey connection on that input.  If the mixer is out of warranty, you might either look at it or have someone look at it.  the connection issue should be an easy fix.  Anything else is unlikely to be an easy fix.  (My take anyway.)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 04:28:47 AM »
Does this happen regardless of the channel that has the phantom power supplied?
Mackie Junkie

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:35:07 AM »
Sounds like a problem with your mixer.  I've never experienced it.  I bought a small mixer with phantom power to deal with that need.  I hate global phantom power.  (But have used it from time to time.  Just trying to move away from it.)   Not aware of any easy fixes.  Could be a flakey connection on that input.  If the mixer is out of warranty, you might either look at it or have someone look at it.  the connection issue should be an easy fix.  Anything else is unlikely to be an easy fix.  (My take anyway.)

Yeah I hate global phantom power as well!

My DL is out of warranty by now so I'll probably look at it myself.

CHeers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 05:37:13 AM »
Does this happen regardless of the channel that has the phantom power supplied?

Not quite following your question.

Phantom power is global on the DL - so when it's on, it's on for all channels.

Only channel 8 has the noise problem (at the moment).

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 06:07:46 AM »
Take lots of photos while taking it apart.  There are already some on this website somewhere.  And make sure you have access to a backup mixer just in case things don't go well. 

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 06:16:56 AM »
Not on my DL32R. It's set through Master Fader for each channel individually. So, when you say DL, can you be more specific?
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »
That is a serious reason to consider the DL32r over the DL1608 if you don't need all that many channels.  I'm betting that can't be done with the 1608 without some kind of redesign.  I would have preferred that phantom power only be available on 1/4 to 1/2 of the channels. 

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 03:02:48 PM »
Not on my DL32R. It's set through Master Fader for each channel individually. So, when you say DL, can you be more specific?

Sorry Michael, mine is a 1608. Wish i had the 32R though.

CHeers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 03:42:40 PM »
Most likely the DC blocking cap leaking which means replacement. Check the 48V on pin 2 and 3 just in case, pin 1 is ground. Unlikely that the resistors failed but just in case. I don't know if you are a DIY guy so all this may be for someone else. I don't know of anywhere that the analog section of the DL has been photoed so if you take it apart snap some pics please.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »

When phantom power is on channel 8 makes noise even without any thing connected. Its quite a strong signal, and makes that channel unusable.

It works fine with phantom power off - so it sounds like somethings up with the preamp.

Cheers

Just been checking the noise issue you’re experiencing with phantom power on channel 8. No noise for me, but this is the first time that I’ve seen the channel meters spike (all of them) 1/4 of the way up the scales when I turn the phantom power on or off. This occurs with all channels muted or un-muted inc’ Main and all volume controls at the bottom or turned up .

Didn’t notice this with MF 3.0.2, but seeing it with 3.1. I’m putting it down to a power spike through the circuit when the phantom switch is turned on and a drain of power when turned off. This reflects in the channel meters. No pops or click sound through the headphone output or the main outs. Maybe it was always there but really just noticed it. Doesn’t seem to affect the overall workings of the mixer at all. Weird.

It's a DL1608.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:00:12 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 11:01:02 PM »
Most likely the DC blocking cap leaking which means replacement. Check the 48V on pin 2 and 3 just in case, pin 1 is ground. Unlikely that the resistors failed but just in case. I don't know if you are a DIY guy so all this may be for someone else. I don't know of anywhere that the analog section of the DL has been photoed so if you take it apart snap some pics please.

Thanks WK. I'll definitely being having a go at it my self and will post pics. Its working perfectly except for the phantom power issue so I am going to wait for the next free weekend.

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 11:03:35 PM »

Cheers

Just been checking the noise issue you’re experiencing with phantom power on channel 8. No noise for me, but this is the first time that I’ve seen the channel meters spike (all of them) 1/4 of the way up the scales when I turn the phantom power on or off. This occurs with all channels muted or un-muted inc’ Main and all volume controls at the bottom or turned up .

Didn’t notice this with MF 3.0.2, but seeing it with 3.1. I’m putting it down to a power spike through the circuit when the phantom switch is turned on and a drain of power when turned off. This reflects in the channel meters. No pops or click sound through the headphone output or the main outs. Maybe it was always there but really just noticed it. Doesn’t seem to affect the overall workings of the mixer at all. Weird.

It's a DL1608.

I think it would be normal to see the spike when you power phantom on or off (as you can hear if you are not muted). My channel 8 is almost a full scale signal!

Cheers

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »
Hey, Fluddman

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I agree that the spikes I am seeing are normal. Makes sense and there's no pop sound on any outputs which is good.

My fingers are crossed for you that your issue is a simple one to fix.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 11:16:27 PM »
Thanks KM. Hopefully just a new cap!

Cheers