Author Topic: Wireless Setup via Airport Express (2nd Gen)  (Read 17820 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: Wireless Setup via Airport Express (2nd Gen)
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 05:15:18 PM »
I'll giving the Ethernet switch a try. Found one on eBay for $ 6.00 new and had eBay bucks so it was essentially free. Have plenty of cables thanks to our IT guy at work redoing our office network system there is a box of leftover cables.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 10:23:09 PM »
I'll giving the Ethernet switch a try. Found one on eBay for $ 6.00 new and had eBay bucks so it was essentially free. Have plenty of cables thanks to our IT guy at work redoing our office network system there is a box of leftover cables.

Hopefully that will work. It certainly did for me. I hate that there is now yet another component to fail!

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 02:16:44 AM »
Any place where a non-DHCP hub works, A crossover network cable should be able to remove the hub and 2 network cables.  A non-DHCP hub is only making two normal network cables into a single crossover cable.  Now, if the hub is running DHCP too, you will need to configure that in your Airport Express.  (It's part of its capabilities.  Don't know if it's turned on by default.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 04:05:21 AM »
Wynnd I got to get you off that Leslie. There are no such things as DHCP hubs. Hubs are a remnant of the 10 Mbs era that barely made it into the 100 Mbs era. Ethernet hubs no longer exist except on E-bay. Switches replaced them long time ago. Along with all that so did the need for crossover cables. The DL and the AE are in no need of crossovers it's done auto magically. So roll up that cable and put it in your museum.  ;) Today's  routers and switches are auto-sense anything less belongs with that cable. Switches with DHCP servers do exist.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:13:02 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 06:20:52 PM »
I've just plugged my Airport Express into my X32 Rack and fired up X32-Mix, instant connection and communication (and I've got home WiFi in the next room and both Airport Extremes in the same room). I didn't even change any settings from the DL1608 setup it just worked. Plugged it back into the DL and same thing, everything just works..... Happy days :).

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 01:15:31 AM »
That's good news! Glad it worked for you.

When I was googling a solution there were reports of some working and some not working.

I tried every thing I could to get mine to work including a reset, turning off airtunes etc. I could only get it too work with a switch.

(I thought for sure it would be airtunes as that's one thing different between and express and an extreme - but no)

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:17:04 AM by Fluddman »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 01:15:59 AM »
Will admit that I'm a bit old school.  Was a PC/Network tech at the change of the century and met my Wife studying Computer Science in 1979.  Haven't worked in the field in the last 15 years.   Hubs/Switches.  Look fairly similar and I do understand the differences.  I suspect that nearly no one is using a Netware server today.  (Was a CNA for 4.11)  So things are changing and in this industry, that seems to happen every 6 months.  Thanks for the update.  (I get some of that from my Son who now works for Google.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 05:17:28 AM »
Fluddman A couple of questions. Is your AE firmware up to date and have you tried another AE? The interposing switch provides a Ethernet packet buffer so it's possible that activity with the X32 is causing overruns. I was in Sydney this past September but my schedule left little room otherwise I'd a bought you a brew.
Cheers

P.S. I have two Opal passes send me a PM for your address and they're yours.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:22:24 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 07:21:55 AM »
Hi WK

Yeah I updated the firmware but I haven't tried another Airport Express. I did try an airport extreme though and it worked fine.

It seems to be a bit hit and miss with an airport express but a must be a certain model or firmware version. Now that I've got it working I've lost interest in pinpointing the exact problem.

It would have been good to have had a beer with you. Maybe next time. Hope you had a great trip and were made welcome down here.

Thanks for the opal cards - PM on its way.

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:35 PM »
I spent time on the weekend playing around with this.

When I use my backup Linksys router (which is just too big to fit in the space left in my rack case) both mixers connect without using a switch.

With the Airport Express, the DL works fine but not so the X32. So there is obviously some quirk with the Airport Express and the X32. I did notice that once connected I can bypass the switch and the connection works until I power down the mixer. But after a restart it won't connect until I put the switch back in the Ethernet circuit. (this sounds like an IP address issue?)

Any ideas what could be different about the DL and X32 in terms of networking?

Sorry for being obsessive - I think I can cope with having to use a switch but not with not understanding why!

Cheers

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 01:52:36 AM »
Wish I knew the answer...I have the same issue !
I have 2 airport express' and neither of them work with the x32, but the
Linksys is right on the spot. I've tried resetting, manually entering the info and following all
Instructions to the letter.   I pretty much gave up on the AE and figured they can both be for the
DL and I just won't have the wireless music own when I use the X.

Only good thing is at least we both know we're not crazy and doing something wrong.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 01:59:46 AM »
Wish I knew the answer...I have the same issue !
I have 2 airport express' and neither of them work with the x32, but the
Linksys is right on the spot. I've tried resetting, manually entering the info and following all
Instructions to the letter.   I pretty much gave up on the AE and figured they can both be for the
DL and I just won't have the wireless music own when I use the X.

Only good thing is at least we both know we're not crazy and doing something wrong.

Yep, good to know I'm not the only one. I like the small size of the airport express and that it doesn't require a wall wart!

I can't help but think there is some sort of secret setting somewhere that will fix this. But it's proving elusive.

Cheers