Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Hopefully Ending the Forum Dry Spell?

<< < (2/8) > >>

dpdan:

--- Quote from: gerenm63 on May 12, 2015, 06:58:33 PM ---Maybe my experience with those old, simple units, along with some of the other junk I've had to live with over the years, gives me an advantage in getting the Mackie to sound decent.

Cheers!

--- End quote ---

I hear ya,
my experience has been live concerts and a ton of studio engineering, I bought a Lexicon Model 200 Digital Reverberator ($4,800.00) back in the early eighties and it sounds wonderful and in fact,,,, it still does.

The cheaper reverbs' tails have always sounded aweful, but then again, I was comparing it to what I know. Even the cheaper Lexicon PCM 70 and 80 reverb stunk compared to the 200.. not today's Lexicon 200. It is crappy too.

Greg C.:
I'm curious to know if the DL might not have the DSP horsepower to handle better verbs. Out of all the processing on digital desks, good reverbs use up the most DSP. I know Mackie said they have "plenty of room to grow the DL feature set." But do they really? I know on the Avid Venue consoles where you can monitor DSP resources, a few good verbs can chew up DSP resources pretty quickly. You'd figure by now with all the complaints on how poor the FX are that they would have done something about it. Maybe they just can't.

Greg

dpdan:
Greg, you are correct as usual,
good reverbs consume gobs of resources, resources I am pretty confident that the DL mixers just don't have.
My Allen & Heath Qu series console has nice sounding reverb but still not as good as (really good) external Lexicon units.
I am completey spoiled by Altiverb on my Mac these days.    :)

WK154:
How soon we forget. The DL1608 has way more horsepower than is presently used and verified by their EU top dog and former techie (25% usage). All this was covered here quite some time ago. The logic is simple the X32 handling 40 channels is quite able to handle what your looking for with a less capable DSP/ARM than what is in the DL series. The newer X-Air is using the same DSP as the DL. It boils down to not having the resources internally and not wanting to spend their profits if they don't have to. Can you say greed? Say it Loud.

robbocurry:
Better reverbs fourth on the User Voice hit list.
No change there might be profit (they are a business, how much does it cost?) or lack of resources.
Or both.
Or neither.
Maybe they're quite entitled to think that they've a perfectly saleable item as is.
Some people hate the reverb, some people use it.
It's not a show stopper either way? Not for me anyway.
The people here on the forums may well be the noisy minority, who knows?
Now with some real competition there may be a few choice upgrades in reserve for a re-launch?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version