Author Topic: Soundcraft Ui-12 and Ui-16 Original DL Platform Contenders?  (Read 35568 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
I have a feeling this was discussed sometime in the past here, but not sure. If it was, please just ignore my senior moment?  x(

Just noticed that my local music store Long & McQuade is selling the Soundcraft Ui-12 at $548 Cdn and the Ui-16 for $749 Cdn. They are in stock too. They look like they may be in direct competition to the DL806/1608 platform.

Kind of different looking with built in WIFI, probably 2.4GHz only and HTML5 browser based app. It looks like it has some added features and similar ones to the DL. I realize that these are acquisitions repackaged, rebranded and updated from the SMPro U-Mix series.

The Ui-16 only has 12 XLR (8 combi and 4 std) inputs plus RCA stereo and 2 USB, 1 for playback (Built in media player) and 1 for recording (2 track only). I’m sure most here have done the research on this one, but I am curious if it is a serious contender to the original DL platform?

Oh the browser based app is quite cool too.  8) Here's a direct link to Soundcraft if you want to check this out.  :)

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/ui16
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: Soundcraft Ui-12 and Ui-16 Original DL Platform Contenders?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 12:37:23 AM »
Hope it sounds better than it looks!
It's a fugly ucker to my eyes! :o :o
A face only it's mother could love :lol:
Sorry for being so superficial but that is brutal looking.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:40:29 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 12:41:22 AM »
Hope it sounds better than it looks!
It's a fugly ucker to my eyes! :o :o

Too mucking fuch?   :mrgreen:  It might be okay, I may check it out at Long and McQuade for fun this week, since it's in stock.  Give it a whirl, as it were.  ;) If it's anywhere comparable to the EPM 12 analog mixer I had a while back, it should theoretically sound good. The Ears have it, gotta listen to it first before I come to any contusions about it.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:51:01 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:15:48 AM »
On a feature-per-feature comparison, they're more akin to the Behringer XR12 and XR16 -- sorta. The closest direct competitors to the original DL1608 are the Behringer X18 or the Phonic Acapela16 (http://www.phonic.com/en/acapela-16.html).
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 01:26:42 AM »
First company that packs a DL1608 (or better) into a 2U shallow rack gets my $$$. This is a 4U with only four monitor feeds - not even close :( .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:28:51 AM by RoadRanger »

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:36:05 AM »
The HDMI out for a monitor is quite cool, even better if it allowed touchscreen capabilities.

It is a bit utilitarian and only 12 inputs on the upper model. I think I did try the software app for this and there were some good features. The colour scheme and effects inserts seem to be pretty decent.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 02:56:16 PM »
The HDMI out for a monitor is quite cool, even better if it allowed touchscreen capabilities.

It is a bit utilitarian and only 12 inputs on the upper model. I think I did try the software app for this and there were some good features. The colour scheme and effects inserts seem to be pretty decent.

I was trying the demo app on my touchscreen laptop and it's pretty decent, although I am still spoiled for Master Fader.  ;) Come on Mackie, for a 2U rack version to compete with all the other ones out there.  :) DL24R anyone?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:59:40 PM by Keyboard Magic »

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »
First company that packs a DL1608 (or better) into a 2U shallow rack gets my $$$. This is a 4U with only four monitor feeds - not even close :( .
So fugly ucker aside, any offering from first one out to market with 16 non-recall pre`s, 2 lacking FX, and 1 control platform are OK, just so long as the form factor fits 19" wide?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »
So fugly ucker aside, any offering from first one out to market with 16 non-recall pre`s, 2 lacking FX, and 1 control platform are OK, just so long as the form factor fits 19" wide?
It's assumed recallable/remoteable pre's will be required to fit the 2U space. IPad only is fine with me. A second carpy 'verb would do me fine :) . I'm hoping whoever is blocking that in the DL1608 (probably upper level Marketing) soon chokes on their own BS >:D .

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 12:44:08 AM »
I'm hoping whoever is blocking that in the DL1608 (probably upper level Marketing) soon chokes on their own BS >:D .
Oh Oh, did we inadvertently disengage the mute button? :lol:

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 01:13:46 AM »
We can only surmise at this point in time that Mackie hopefully is playing catch up to the other products out there. Maybe they’re already taking design hints from all the current contenders available now? Who knows?

But I really don’t think or hope that they are sitting on their laurels by letting the competition corner the market share in new rack/box type small format digital mixers.They would literally be shooting themselves in their collective foot (feet) by ignoring this fact. Fingers crossed.

And to dispel any rumors to the contrary, I am not Mackie’s new QC Department.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:15:52 AM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:27 AM »
KM I thought you started out in the QC dept. and even rejected the first DL that came across your desk. ;) RR it must have been that sync problem again the mute was hit but it wasn't listening.  >:D Poor BenO under attack again. ;D 
KM don't worry none of these mfgr's learn from each others mistakes. Take Be... X-Air with the WiFi antique radio (b/g) and a 10/100 Ethernet chip. Those pennies must add up. :) Soundcraft thinking it can survive out there also with a WiFi antique and no wired fallback, that's a show stopper. Correction they have hidden away the wired connection and a few other surprises previously undocumented. Clearly a contender. They do have the cross platform problem solved (HTML).  QSC almost had it right but started out with a software problem in WiFi. They at least can replace the WiFi dongle with newer tech or have a USB fallback with the right software. They do have a wired solution in place. So in the under $1200 market the only reliable choice IMO seems to be the X32 rack till the rest get the kinks worked out.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:49:56 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 06:13:05 AM »
Not sure what price it is USD, but don't forget the absolutely wonderful, fantastic sounding, reliable, front panel controllable, expandable, multichannel USB recordable, solidly built, beautifully designed and manufactured A&H Qu-Pac WK ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:20:02 AM by robbocurry »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 07:22:24 AM »
A tad above the $1200 at Sweetwater at $1499. Now in stock.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 07:24:43 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »
A tad above the $1200 at Sweetwater at $1499. Now in stock.
😉👍🏼