Author Topic: Soundcraft Ui-12 and Ui-16 Original DL Platform Contenders?  (Read 35447 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Soundcraft Ui-12 and Ui-16 Original DL Platform Contenders?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 12:48:42 PM »
KM I thought you started out in the QC dept. and even rejected the first DL that came across your desk. ;) Soundcraft thinking it can survive out there also with a WiFi antique and no wired fallback, that's a show stopper.

My DL bricked and “returned” it within the 30 day return policy with the music store I bought it at, for a full refund. QC indeed. Still happily using one at the school and on permanent loan to myself when I need it. This one is almost 2 years old and not one twitch out of it. Minor software issues aside, which have been addressed by Mackie.

The Ui-12/16 both have an Ethernet port and a quote from the Ui web page:

“Both mixers also offer independent network interfaces on board for simultaneous control by Wi-Fi and Ethernet”

Which might be a good possibility that you can direct connect a laptop to it and even use that Apple AirPort Express too.

And to be fair, I have been looking hard at the X32 rack too. I like the X32 Mix app almost as much as Master Fader. I'm not going to discount any particular product, if it "fits the bill" as it were.  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:03:32 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
Great find KM. I was going by their first manual where they forgot to tell the tech writer those minor details. They've since added on chapter 10.1 which describes the wired Ethernet. The side pic which was also missing shows two more USB A plugs a foot switch and a HDMI port. Since they're not on the shelf yet time will tell what works, although I never found Soundcraft lacking. So the show must go on, I corrected post. They are however light (no specs) on WiFi radio details.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
No specs can be found on the built in wireless, but I have recently been corresponding with Soundcraft via email. I had a question about running the demo on the iPad, and consequently have just asked about the wireless capabilities of the Ui-16.

They responded in a very timely fashion, so I should hear back soon. But at least with an Ethernet port, I presume any quality dual band wireless router can be used with it. Long & McQuade here have some in stock. (Ui-16) It would be fun to go check it out, just the same. New Toys.  :angel:

This app seems to be fairly easy to navigate for a "newbie" on it. But MF is still the easiest to use out of all of them IMHO. Don't think I'm straying from the Mackie stable just yet though. Time will tell.  ;) Gotta have an open mind just the same. Although you do lose more of your brain that way!  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 07:47:50 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
What's that old saying "old habits are hard to break". ;)
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
What's that old saying "old habits are hard to break". ;)

Indeed! And "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" But I always try to challenge myself. Haven't even explored all of MF's new features yet. But certainly want to learn more about it. Gotta keep those brain cells working.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:30:23 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 07:16:32 AM »
I find all the talk about leaving Mackie for the "latest and greatest" digital mixer a bit weird.  People do move on, but with my DL1608 getting better with every software upgrade, I don't see a reason to leave anytime soon.  It's been nearly 2 years and I'm looking at 5 years minimum.  Will I still be wanting to do this when I'm 70?  Better question would be will I still be able to do this when I'm 70? 

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »
will I still be able to do this when I'm 70?

you betcha!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 02:09:39 PM »
I find all the talk about leaving Mackie for the "latest and greatest" digital mixer a bit weird.  People do move on, but with my DL1608 getting better with every software upgrade, I don't see a reason to leave anytime soon.  It's been nearly 2 years and I'm looking at 5 years minimum.  Will I still be wanting to do this when I'm 70?  Better question would be will I still be able to do this when I'm 70?

My OP wasn’t about moving on. It was posted to generate discussion comparing the Ui mixers to the original DL platform. I have the use of a perfectly good DL1608 and have no need to buy anything at this time.

I'm waiting to see what's coming next from Mackie in particular. I think it’s always a good thing to cultivate all the options whether you’re in the market or not. And it’s cool to see what the other “guy” has or has not too.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:16:31 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »
Will I still be wanting to do this when I'm 70?  Better question would be will I still be able to do this when I'm 70?

I plan on going out in a blaze playing. I think it's all a state of mind. If you are passionate enough playing and running sound, there should be no reason why you or I or anyone else can't continue sharing our art right through our 70's and beyond. When I'm in my late 80s I plan to be wheeled up to that organ, lifted on the bench and cut loose with the same amount energy I do now. Well, almost the same amount.  :lol:

That custom scooter's gonna have a top of the line Roland Atelier Organ and killer sound system with sub, built in though!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:41:17 PM by Keyboard Magic »

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 10:38:36 PM »
I plan on going out in a blaze playing.

Riley Ben King played to the end at 89. Anthony Dominick "Tony" Benedetto is still performing at 88. My money is on KM, with some time to pimp out that scooter 8)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 11:44:02 PM »
I plan on going out in a blaze playing.

Riley Ben King played to the end at 89. Anthony Dominick "Tony" Benedetto is still performing at 88. My money is on KM, with some time to pimp out that scooter 8)

The scooter is in the very early design stage at the moment.  ;)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 03:07:16 AM »
I had the pleasure of seeing Jimmy Smith at 75.  He needed help getting up the steps to the stage, but all that fragility vanished with the first Hammond note.  He's gone now, but was an inspiration for many of us keyboard players.  Thanks to Pat Bianchi for the loan of his homebound B3 and leslies for Jimmy.  (not mic'd.  Pat is probably the best jazz organist living in Denver.) 

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 09:10:30 AM »
It's not over yet Wynnd. I was in a band that opened up for the "Tribute to Muddy Waters" band in 1994. I think the eldest member was Pinetop Perkins who impressed us at 81. They blew us away completely!.... he died at 97 and was still gigging regularly!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 02:29:46 PM »
There's a bit of a difference with being helped onto the stage and handed your guitar at 80 vs humping an entire PA and light show at 80 :( .

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 06:45:20 PM »
There's a bit of a difference with being helped onto the stage and handed your guitar at 80 vs humping an entire PA and light show at 80 :( .
you got that right, as my Mom would watch me load the equipment she used to say,,,
"you should've taken flute  :)"