Author Topic: Soundcraft Ui-12 and Ui-16 Original DL Platform Contenders?  (Read 35639 times)

James91104

• Knight
Re: Soundcraft Ui-12 and Ui-16 Original DL Platform Contenders?
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2015, 06:24:28 AM »
I seem to remember that SM-Pro used to recomend the Atomic Web Browser for best perfomance on ipads
Ditto that, but primarily for the full screen capability IFAIK.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »
Furthermore, a Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32 gig running Soundcraft UI-16 demo app :
Google Chrome performs with no lag, smooth scrolling, fluid meters, multi-touch all OK.
Mozilla Firefox performs with lag, rough scrolling, fluid meters, multi-touch ok.

Note though that the demo app appears to represent a 24 channel device and not a 12 or 16 channel. With this larger representation, I find that the scrolling of 46 faders in the full view to be a bit much, so the factory and user view groups assist nicely with such.

26 Shows, 26 Snapshots, 26 Factory & 26 User presets for input & output 4 band para DBX EQ, Deesser (mic ins) & Dynamics, Lexicon Reverb, Delay, Chorus FX, and Digitech amp modeler each, DBX 12 filter AFS2 (auxs), 31 band Graphic EQ & Dynamics on all Aux & Main outs, HDMI out, Ethernet port & integrated WiFi with 10 device cross-platform connectivity limit, USB multi-format Playback port (mp3,wav,aiff,aac,ogg,flac), USB Record port for direct to device stereo 16,24,or 32 bit (? format?), 6 assignable sub,view, & mute groups each, 8 xlr/1/4"combi-inputs with 2 Hi-Z, all with recallable gain, phantom power & polarity on all mic pre inputs, cable pass-thru rack-ear cut-outs, FX mute footswitch 1/4" jack, available now for $550 U.S.D. \\ Whew  :P

There is a lot to like.
Not to like: (wish list)
only pre/post fader aux send choice.
only Graphi Q for outputs; no choice of para or graph, or even better would be both implemented. 
limited gate, comp, and AFS2 control.
no USB Digi-Audio multi-track-out record and/or PC/Mac Asio.
no USB Digi-Audio multi-track in select.

Was informed by a Harman rep that a 16 mic-in unit is slated for future release, date and price TBD.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2015, 12:37:18 AM »
Most likely my next toy. Somebody finally got the GUi part right. It only took 7 years of my bugging him, for my friend to migrate to HTML (10 yrs ago) for his app but now he never looks back. A QC program for the semi industry such as Intel, IBM etc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:26:12 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
As with the Behringer series, there are alternative control options available to you. As we all know. This gives you a bit more of a confidence level running shows. Not having to depend on the wireless and only iPad control is a bonus.

But with a current 433 plus votes (that I could find more or less) on the Mackie Feature Request site for an alternative control option (Windows, Mac, Android etc.) for the DL Line, it may just happen in the near future. Only if Mackie is listening and watching. Fingers crossed.

PS: I forgot the 936 for Android.  :facepalm: Surely with the overwhelming votes? Probably not.  :(
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:56:30 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
it may just happen in the near future. Only if Mackie is listening and watching. Fingers crossed.

They've knocked a bunch of things off that list.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
it may just happen in the near future. Only if Mackie is listening and watching. Fingers crossed.

Oh yeah! Anything they don't want to tackle that are already on the DL32 they will consider done even though it's a list for the DL1608 and it's sibling. Just buy a DL32 it's that simple. :lol:
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »

Oh yeah! Anything they don't want to tackle that are already on the DL32 they will consider done even though it's a list for the DL1608 and it's sibling. Just buy a DL32 it's that simple. :lol:

You're probably right. I was expecting too much again.  :facepalm: No DL32 in my foreseeable future though, especially at $2400.00 CDN plus tax. It would be hardware overkill for what I would use it for too. If one fell off the back of a truck mind you.  ;) I know, it would be in pieces.  :( Aren't they supposed to be built like a tank?  ;)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:59:36 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 01:57:00 AM »
Words of wisdom from a Muso.
 “I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?”
― John Lennon
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »
So if anyone here was going to buy a small platform digital mixer right now and could only buy the DL1608 or the Soundcraft UI-16, which one would you buy on a feature per feature comparision? Looks notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:36:58 PM by Keyboard Magic »

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2015, 06:12:35 PM »
So if anyone here was going to buy a small platform digital mixer right now and could only buy the DL1608 or the Soundcraft UI-16, which one would you buy on a feature per feature comparision? Looks notwithstanding.

I'd buy the Mackie. Despite its perceived shortcomings, the DL has 16 bona fide inputs, as opposed to the misleading Soundcraft spec of 12 XLR ins, a stereo pair of RCAs and a stereo USB in; and 6 auxes on the DL v. 4 on the UI-16. Sure, the non-recallable, non-remote-controllable preamps are inconvenient, and being forced to choose my own router was an added expense, but I really find those to be minor -- choosing my own routers gave me flexibility in choosing what will work best with my iPad/iPhones, and I can carry a couple, in case one is problematic. And, I can take snapshots of the input gain pots at the end of each gig and carry printouts in my mixer case for the next time I work with a particular band. And, as I've said elsewhere, I find the effects to be good enough for what I need -- and I have yet to have a band or band member complain about them.

Basically, I've had nothing to complain about with my DL. It's been a rock solid piece of kit. And that, I can live with!

Now, if you were to open the choice list up to include the Behringer XR18, I might be a little harder pressed to choose. When I bought the DL, I had really wanted the X18, but got tired of waiting (and was offered a really excellent price on a demo DL).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:15:02 PM by gerenm63 »
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2015, 09:35:29 PM »
I wouldn't give up using the 1608, I do like it very much, but I've been digging into the UI-16 HTML demo app and IMHO it's giving MF a run for it's money. Once you start getting used to it, it's pretty slick and easy to use plus multi platform like the X series, once again in my opinion. And the graphics are nice too.

No I'm not jumping ship, but keeping my options open and fingers crossed that the next generations of MF will catch up, or be even better.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:49:15 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »
KM it's always interesting to compare apples and oranges as you can see from the responses. The more realistic list would be the X32R, XR18, QSC Touchmix, and the DL1608. When Soundcraft finally releases the Ui-24 then they would be in the running. The basis for this would be 16 mic inputs and the almighty $$ and would have to include the cost of any ancillary equipment to make it functional. Can't realistically use a DL1608, Ui-x or a XR18 without a control surface of some kind. Ease of use may dictate a control surface anyways (X32R ,QSC and Touchmix) along with communications gear (router etc.). Lack of reliability may even require duplicate equipment. So the ultimate cost of gear to do a job can vary by a lot even though it may start out similar.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:53:04 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »
I'm keeping my dl1608, love it. The X32 Compact lives in the studio for what little recording I do and, along with my X32 Rack there's my rig for gigs too big for the DL. I'll just hire a big FOH rig if necessary and I can cope with anything thrown at me. Happy days  :)

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »
Sam, I have a HK Projector rig if you are ever stuck for a larger FOH mate. Like you I'll be sticking with the DL1608 unless I find a compelling reason to upgrade to something with more channels and at the moment I am most taken by the Presonus RM32AI. However, it looks like I'll be helping a friend with a festival later this month, so will get some experience with an X32 rack. Will be interesting to see how the iPad app works in practice for that.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2015, 11:49:32 PM »
Thanks for the offer, I really like the HK Projector rig, I do a lot of work for a local PA Hire outfit and the boss' first FOH rig was a Projector. I was very sorry when he sold it (it wasn't getting enough use and I did consider buying it but it was too big for me to transport/store at the time). We replaced it with various JBL PRX boxes, I'm not sure if they are significantly better but they are a much more practical/scalable system (and the 12"s do sound very nice though I'm less keen on the 15"'s).

I upgraded my own rig a couple of years ago now to QSC K12s and a single EV sBa750 sub (which I already had) for FOH and 3 x Yamaha DXR10s plus 2 x Alto TS110As for monitors (which have always been loud enough for anything I've been asked to do, gain before feedback rears it's ugly head before they run out of steam TBH). It's a nice sounding rig (I love the K12s) and fits in the back of my VW Golf if pressed.  :thu:

I'm very happy with the X32 Compact and just getting to grips with the Rack. I've only done a couple of gigs with the Compact (the DL is tried, tested, trusted and has enough I/O for most of my gigs) but the rack will probably take over from the DL for all but the smallest gigs as I get familiar with the app. I'll still have the DL in the car as a backup though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:54:28 PM by sam.spoons »