Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Soundcraft Ui-12 and Ui-16 Original DL Platform Contenders?

<< < (12/16) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
I wouldn't give up using the 1608, I do like it very much, but I've been digging into the UI-16 HTML demo app and IMHO it's giving MF a run for it's money. Once you start getting used to it, it's pretty slick and easy to use plus multi platform like the X series, once again in my opinion. And the graphics are nice too.

No I'm not jumping ship, but keeping my options open and fingers crossed that the next generations of MF will catch up, or be even better.  ;)

WK154:
KM it's always interesting to compare apples and oranges as you can see from the responses. The more realistic list would be the X32R, XR18, QSC Touchmix, and the DL1608. When Soundcraft finally releases the Ui-24 then they would be in the running. The basis for this would be 16 mic inputs and the almighty $$ and would have to include the cost of any ancillary equipment to make it functional. Can't realistically use a DL1608, Ui-x or a XR18 without a control surface of some kind. Ease of use may dictate a control surface anyways (X32R ,QSC and Touchmix) along with communications gear (router etc.). Lack of reliability may even require duplicate equipment. So the ultimate cost of gear to do a job can vary by a lot even though it may start out similar.

sam.spoons:
I'm keeping my dl1608, love it. The X32 Compact lives in the studio for what little recording I do and, along with my X32 Rack there's my rig for gigs too big for the DL. I'll just hire a big FOH rig if necessary and I can cope with anything thrown at me. Happy days  :)

ijpengelly:
Sam, I have a HK Projector rig if you are ever stuck for a larger FOH mate. Like you I'll be sticking with the DL1608 unless I find a compelling reason to upgrade to something with more channels and at the moment I am most taken by the Presonus RM32AI. However, it looks like I'll be helping a friend with a festival later this month, so will get some experience with an X32 rack. Will be interesting to see how the iPad app works in practice for that.

sam.spoons:
Thanks for the offer, I really like the HK Projector rig, I do a lot of work for a local PA Hire outfit and the boss' first FOH rig was a Projector. I was very sorry when he sold it (it wasn't getting enough use and I did consider buying it but it was too big for me to transport/store at the time). We replaced it with various JBL PRX boxes, I'm not sure if they are significantly better but they are a much more practical/scalable system (and the 12"s do sound very nice though I'm less keen on the 15"'s).

I upgraded my own rig a couple of years ago now to QSC K12s and a single EV sBa750 sub (which I already had) for FOH and 3 x Yamaha DXR10s plus 2 x Alto TS110As for monitors (which have always been loud enough for anything I've been asked to do, gain before feedback rears it's ugly head before they run out of steam TBH). It's a nice sounding rig (I love the K12s) and fits in the back of my VW Golf if pressed.  :thu:

I'm very happy with the X32 Compact and just getting to grips with the Rack. I've only done a couple of gigs with the Compact (the DL is tried, tested, trusted and has enough I/O for most of my gigs) but the rack will probably take over from the DL for all but the smallest gigs as I get familiar with the app. I'll still have the DL in the car as a backup though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version