Author Topic: First Big Show  (Read 12867 times)

Michael Welter

• Knight
First Big Show
« on: May 14, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
Wish me luck, everyone. This Saturday I have my first big show with my DL32R. Set up, and sound check, is tomorrow, then the show runs from 8 AM to 8 PM Saturday, in a 9000 seat arena. I've already built the mix, based on the what the organizer sent me, and used up all 32 channels. That makes me a little nervous. It'll be interesting to see how the wireless connectivity does in such a large room. Stay tuned.
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: First Big Show
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
Good Luck! My fingers are crossed for you.  :thu: Sounds like you're ready, already.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »
Enjoy it, the upfront prep should hopefully make it an easy night :-)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:04:49 PM »
Depending upon quantity of wireless transmitters onstage, you probably should have already gone through all of them and made sure there were no conflicts.  (Had a few problems last week with only 14 wireless mics.  No problems with the DL1608)  Good luck.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »
Wishing you the best from this end of the country.
Friday sound check should aid in finding any kinks.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:25:30 PM »
I only have 4 wireless mics that I'll be using, and yes, I've used them all with the system. So I'm not too worried about that. Which means, of course, that I'll probably get the most trouble from them.  :facepalm:
Mackie Junkie

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 03:13:14 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how the wireless connectivity does in such a large room.

I have done two jobs in a larger stadium with my DL32R and the Apple Airport Express and had zero connectivity issues.

Have fun!!!!
Do report back :)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 06:27:33 AM »
The setup, and sound check went flawlessly today. The DL32R sounds sweet. I wandered all over the arena doing the sound check, and my connection never wavered. So far, all is good. I'll post some pics after the show.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 07:11:55 AM »
Looking forward to them.  Glad things are looking good.  One thing I did was to name my WiFi "NoInternetHere".  You could also hide your internet.  (Not a good last minute thing to do.)   I'm probably going to do that in the near future, but I'm testing for issues at home right now. 

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
Michael,
I am glad you had a fun time!!!!!
I named my Wi-Fi connection "LOCKED"

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 01:37:47 PM »
One home system I've seen had the name virusliveshere.  (Or something to that effect.)  The one issue I have is when I need internet access with my phone, I need to turn the WiFi off.  The phone assumes if there is WiFi, there must be internet.   Fortunately, this doesn't happen too often.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:31:01 AM »
Hey, everyone. I finally have time to report back from the show on Saturday. First of all, let me say that the DL32R performed flawlessly, and sounded wonderful. I use an Airport Extreme router with it, and I tried everything I could to see if I could lose the connection, but it held strong, even when I took my iPad up to the balcony area opposite the stage.

Now for the challenging parts. We set up on Friday, and the music group came in Friday evening for the sound check. Unfortunately, and much to my dismay, the convention center folks had not yet set the chairs in place. So I had to do the sound check without chairs. So really, the sound check was more to get monitor levels set. Here's a picture just before the sound check.

Here's a shot the next morning, after the chairs were set up:

You can see in the pictures, the A/V desk. I used the table on the right, while the video TD and the lighting techs used the table on the left.

The only issues I had, had nothing to do with the DL32R. My Bluetooth receiver only worked with two out of four devices that I tried with it. It worked fine with my android phone, and a Mac belonging to one of my techs. But it kept cutting in and out when I tried it with my PC or iPad. That was a minir issue. I also had trouble with my rechargeable batteries burning out far too soon. But they're old, so I think it's time to replace them.

Here's a funny story. During the sound check, I asked the drummer what he wanted in his monitor. He replied, "Music".  :facepalm: I guess he isn't used to working with a professional sound company.
Mackie Junkie

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 02:23:33 AM »
I guess he isn't used to working with a professional sound company.

and you call yourself a professional sound company with no mixer desk thingy   :lol:

Only an iPad?   :)

At least with the iPad, nobody will walk up to us and say...
"do you know what all those knobs and slider things do?"

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:25:40 AM by dpdan »

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 03:27:58 AM »
You're cracking me up, Dan. Actually, the musicians were quite impressed that I was able to set the monitor mix while standing next to them. It was pretty cool.
Mackie Junkie

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 07:12:10 AM »
At least with the iPad, nobody will walk up to us and say...
"do you know what all those knobs and slider things do?"

Ha ha, I had forgotten about being referred to as the knob twiddler on a few occasions by those of a humorous disposition! Now people just assume I am playing candy crush and occasionally 'ignorant', "don't you know there is a band playing?" Their face is a picture when you show them what you are doing.

Michael, it is great being able to provide a more personal service when doing monitor mixes.