Author Topic: DL32R reliability, recording  (Read 2482 times)

Weogo

• Knight
DL32R reliability, recording
« on: June 05, 2015, 04:39:12 AM »
Hi Folks,

I have been using a DL1608 for over a year.

My bigger mixer is a Yamaha 01V96. 
With a laptop connected to it, VNC software, and a router, I can in fact operate it with an Ipad.  Kinda clunky, but it actually works fairly well.
Most of my shows need less than 16 channels so I double-assign channels, with one 01V96 fader layer for Monitors, another for House.
This essentially provides separate Monitor and House mixers with only shared gains, allowing for separate EQ and compression on each input's Monitor and House channel.

The DL32R, with inputs freely assignable to any channel(s), looks like a good replacement for the 01V96.
It has most of the features I need, and I can figure work-arounds for most wants.

I really like that an Ipad can be hard-wire docked in the DL1608, in case there are significant wireless issues.
At the same time, with a good router, I have had very good connection uptime with the DL1608 and wireless Ipads.
So am willing to gamble with the DL32R here. 
And would have a spare Ipad, router, and mixer!
(It would be sweet to have the ability to hard-wire connect a laptop with an ethernet cable and have it run a Master Fader program ... )

My questions:
) Other than wifi issues, have you had any other sort of reliability problems with the DL32R? 
  Any idea how it might hold up longer term?
) The USB direct-recording-to-hard-drive has essentially no monitoring.  Has USB recording been solid for you, or have you had issues?

A quick thanks to Mackie for getting Master Fader V3.1 stable and reasonably fast on an Ipad-3, in spite of all of Apple's updates!
And thanks for My Fader V3 too.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: DL32R reliability, recording
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 09:53:09 PM »
So far, I've had no issues with wifi on my DL32R. It's been rock solid. I have an Airport Express and an Airport Extreme. Have been quite pleased with both.
Mackie Junkie

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:48:44 AM »
Hi Michael,

Glad to hear the Wifi has been solid for you.
For the past three years I have been using the higher end Asus routers.

I realize the DL32R is pretty new, so no real long-term stories to tell.
There sure aren't many moving parts on it!

Anybody have one DOA?

I have one ordered and hope to use it at three gigs this weekend.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:43:48 AM »
I've only used my DL32R for two gigs so far, but they both went off without any issues and the recordings turned out great.  My biggest connection problems were with my DL1608 constantly losing sync while DOCKED.   x(  Just sold the DL1608 today...

UPDATE: 08/09/15: Had my first problems last night with the DL32R.  Would not record to drive.  Drive connected.  Plenty of space to record.  Intermission recordings played back fine.  Just would not begin recording when record button was pushed.  Still investigating cause...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:32:48 PM by JMc »