Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 destroying my Mac Mini(s)

<< < (4/11) > >>

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on March 02, 2015, 03:21:22 PM ---Can't actually remember (old age) are the combo jacks on the DL1608 phantom enabled? I've been doing what you do connecting laptops/iPads/pods to 15/16 on the DL for a while and no issues ever. And I've had to run with phantom enabled while doing this.  I do use a dual DI box and mic cables for long runs though, always. This is the DI I use:
https://www.long-mcquade.com/840/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mic_Preamps_DI_Boxes/ART_Pro_Audio/Dual_Passive_Direct_Box.htm

--- End quote ---
When a mixer has both XLR and TRS inputs on the same channel, I've never seen a TRS jack that has phantom - the DL1608 certainly doesn't.

I always carry a bunch of 1 foot XLRF to TRS and XLRM to TRS cables so I can plug line level XLRs into the TRS line inputs anyways. That saves deploying a LOT of DI's - it's not uncommon to use up the four TRS inputs with a couple stereo keyboards and/or the XLR output from a bass amp.

It's unfortunate that the DL1608 doesn't have TRS inputs on all channels - or at least would let you route the 13-16 inputs to any channel strip you want so you could properly arrange the channels to your liking. I believe the X-Air has both of those things? I'm really hoping Mackie will have time to play a bit of catchup with the feature set of the X-Air soon - many things are doable with the present hardware :) and already in MF for the DL32R but disabled when a DL1608 is connected :( .

WK154:
The DI box you're using as most others block 48V phantom power. The 48V + is on XLR 2,3 with the shield as the return pin 1. TS or TRS connectors can be used on inputs 13 - 16 on the DL. There is no 48V on any TS/ TRS connectors. For the stereo 3.5 mm T & R are the two signals with a common return S. They are unbalanced signals. TRS/TS inputs also have a 20 dB pad to accommodate line inputs.

ILC Saratoga:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on March 02, 2015, 02:27:26 PM ---I've just reread the start of this thread and the OP ILC Saratoga says he connects the headphone output to CH16 XLR input. There are several ways to do this, nearly all wrong (even some which employ a DI box). I'd be interested to know precisely what type of lead/adapter was used?

--- End quote ---

The cabling is 1/8" Stereo to XLR adapter with XLR to XLR. All cabling is from Monoprice.   All internal wiring is correct i.e. no shorts or unintentional grounding, infact this worked for 4 MONTHS then POOF.  I'm thinking the isolation transformer mentioned above might be the correct answer.  But the $64k questions is WHY after 4 months?  I'm going to give Mackie Tech a jingle and see if there is some secret button somewhere.

I sincerely appreciate all of the replies.

ILC Saratoga:

--- Quote from: WK154 on March 02, 2015, 04:22:58 PM ---The DI box you're using as most others block 48V phantom power. The 48V + is on XLR 2,3 with the shield as the return pin 1. TS or TRS connectors can be used on inputs 13 - 16 on the DL. There is no 48V on any TS/ TRS connectors. For the stereo 3.5 mm T & R are the two signals with a common return S. They are unbalanced signals. TRS/TS inputs also have a 20 dB pad to accommodate line inputs.

--- End quote ---

Can you translate that for a volunteer that is doing the audio that doesn't know diddly?  ;D  I'm assuming that inserting the appropriate box in-between eliminates the phantom power.

Keyboard Magic:
RoadRanger and WK;

Thank you both for your help and answers. I really appreciate it. The beauty of analog mixers like my ZEDD, has dedicated stereo 1/4 in and RCA. This makes it very simple to connect most stereo devices, like keyboards, consumer audio, without eating up channels which can be used for mics. As in the ZEDD, 4 XLR and 2 stereo pairs. I guess to save money by adding separate stereo pairs Mackie went with XLR and combo jacks. Which I have made do with for sometime, very happily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version