Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

X AIR iPad app for X18 Preview is available

<< < (5/8) > >>

ijpengelly:
I can find ex display Mackie DL806 for £499, so you should be able to find something similar in Europe, assuming that is where you are based Kev (since you are using the Euro as your currency reference). Have you not considered the SM Pro uMix?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_umix_mini.htm

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/digital-mixers/umix

200Euros

And actually, their interface is pretty good too. It provides media playback direct from the mix app.

Kev tyler:
Hi guys

Thansk for the comments,

Yes the DL is the perfect size and has enough features for me, the fact that it locks and charges  is a real plus because on some gigs I would get away with working direct from the pad/mixer but  on others I would use the pad on a stand or stick to a pre defined set and patter and use an airturn module which i intend to conceal in my clothing .i have to state again that the stage is not mine all night, the moment when the entertainers invite 100 guests on stage. To jump up and down, my heart is in my mouth, this is why I can't have i pad  stands and midi foot-switches  and so on at my gigs , and keep bleating about the simple fx footswitch.

I keep quoting euros because I am a Brit living in Ibiza and mainland Spain. I get paid in euros and have to use this currency when I determine the affordability of gear, we are in a bad recession here and rates are stupid low, so 1600 euros is a lot of money here, the dl at 850 euros is too much, bringing one from the USA just invokes too much tax and carriage etc, 500 uk pounds is 700 euros so I can't win really,

Obviously it's not mackies fault, but they just appear expensive for me, and I have to take in to account the usability of the reverbs, I am told they are not too good, and the white noise issues.

Many thanks

Kev

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: Kev tyler on October 09, 2014, 10:34:57 AM ---... and I have to take in to account the usability of the reverbs, I am told they are not too good, and the white noise issues.

--- End quote ---

Kev,

The reverb presets are a bit heavy-handed and muddy, but with a little patience, they can be tweaked so that they sound quite nice -- the editing requires adjusting the reverb parameters and the reverb channel EQ for best results. And, as with a decent rack-mounted reverb unit, you can make and save your own presets which you can save in your shows or snapshots.

Also, no everyone experiences the white noise bursts and/or resync issues. There are a lot of users, here and on other forums and in other reviews, who have never had the problems.

As an aside, it would be interesting to gather the serial numbers of the units that seem to be having the most problems to see if there's some commonality among the affected units. I don't know how many of these things have been sold, but it's feasible that the affected units are part of the same production run, or have some part or parts that are at the edge of their specified tolerance that were only in the SMT machine for a particular period of time.

sam.spoons:
Much has been made of the DL reverbs but, while not the best I've heard, they are very usable. I did provide PA for a name English folk band earlier this year and their touring sound engineer loved the DL1608 and commented that the reverbs were very good to his ears.

The white noise issue has only affected a very small number of units and only with a docked iPad. My DL1608, bought in October 2012 has been faultless (a friend bought one around the same time and his has been similarly trouble free).

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: gerenm63 on October 09, 2014, 12:21:50 PM ---As an aside, it would be interesting to gather the serial numbers of the units that seem to be having the most problems to see if there's some commonality among the affected units. I don't know how many of these things have been sold, but it's feasible that the affected units are part of the same production run, or have some part or parts that are at the edge of their specified tolerance that were only in the SMT machine for a particular period of time.

--- End quote ---

Mackie took a survey and about 10 people answered, obviously not a big problem or people who have it can't be bothered to help fix it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version